Search the forum,

Discuss Which edition the consumer unit is in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a quick question. I've done an EICR on a house and the sparks who I normally go to for advice has said the board sounds like a 14th edition. He knows most things but in this case I think he might be wrong! I believe it's a 15th but can anyone give me a 'general' break down of the various editions so I know for future, i.e 15th is one RCD... I even have a photo for you to look at, you may have come across a couple of these!!
pXExMp1u0PHbP7e9WCZ4zNWPKrhlNZkWkTeSFCzdO1TJb_jRWWAkgBnulTIEzwLe3zsdo3KBfCQLUrokwjyFCio-sU5DAVHNeJ03bMC80wNXS-wz5PeR7iaN_rjYiCRsnksB5tL0FK-dOy_54b-kgQtXd9E2TbCakby70bzXpcBSMk6imF_s-cs1Fsbcr_YYHrbiSBdLgsuafub-7KJGDucUgZYLvXBHTarP_6Inp2o3K3yQIANmlnVCfFFwPA9n52e_aQoKBqSc3dl8PRtfQ8u9KT2caO7UB3Z42Sb9AXk01EKBoaMeHgDvrn5lNDvDc3JzUNxmhwzRn9ZuLBT2cj3_OxbOIkWG6Io_23jG9cFUiNxaBkkImNrJ43CGq3vFtJrXxPRi0aMpHTfuVm5miTxPEaIL6-B2pMwkIPo8XRLuncuPXf2mG_jIYHWzGQKVpL5oo01oNiMBZKyVjWOEMzyBVQw8-GzKNKlGaFnnFNv0A_cnLBUFbVReG8uMdP9YaTyA7RsffSZAZde6j5CkAPfh7GzDfxcpf4E_Mtc2wT2dJUFa5twFlbCChFx4KGOspgvZYD6pVg8AdsMbtEQa8t8AmljBqYmV-y4xpk8=w1688-h949-no

Don't worry I straightened up the MCB's before closing the cover and MCB 1 is unused.
I've done a few google searches for the breakers but they don't give an edition.

Hi OP: I think I know what you are getting at.
My CU only has 1 RCD in it and that has been referred to as a 16th Edition unit.

The consumer unit complies with BS7671 16th edition. I would recommend that it be replaced to comply current regulations - C3. Or would you just say complies with an earlier edition of the regs.
That sort of thing.

That consumer unit does not comply to any Edition of BS7671 and why you are Coding for a replacement to bring it up to current Regs is quite frankly beyond me.

I would recommend that it be replaced to comply current regulations

I would not say that to the customer......
If you said that to me then I would ask to see where it says in the regs that a CU, that is not having any additional circuits to it, must be changed if it's not up to current regs...

An EICR is not estimation of date or editions,it is conducted to assess condition and compliance,with mind to those in place,when fitted.

It's actual age,is irrelevant to the above,although one can give cause,to the other.

The easy,standard example of this,is Pyro.

Hi,

Just a quick question. I've done an EICR on a house and the sparks who I normally go to for advice has said the board sounds like a 14th edition. He knows most things but in this case I think he might be wrong! I believe it's a 15th but can anyone give me a 'general' break down of the various editions so I know for future, i.e 15th is one RCD... I even have a photo for you to look at, you may have come across a couple of these!!

pXExMp1u0PHbP7e9WCZ4zNWPKrhlNZkWkTeSFCzdO1TJb_jRWWAkgBnulTIEzwLe3zsdo3KBfCQLUrokwjyFCio-sU5DAVHNeJ03bMC80wNXS-wz5PeR7iaN_rjYiCRsnksB5tL0FK-dOy_54b-kgQtXd9E2TbCakby70bzXpcBSMk6imF_s-cs1Fsbcr_YYHrbiSBdLgsuafub-7KJGDucUgZYLvXBHTarP_6Inp2o3K3yQIANmlnVCfFFwPA9n52e_aQoKBqSc3dl8PRtfQ8u9KT2caO7UB3Z42Sb9AXk01EKBoaMeHgDvrn5lNDvDc3JzUNxmhwzRn9ZuLBT2cj3_OxbOIkWG6Io_23jG9cFUiNxaBkkImNrJ43CGq3vFtJrXxPRi0aMpHTfuVm5miTxPEaIL6-B2pMwkIPo8XRLuncuPXf2mG_jIYHWzGQKVpL5oo01oNiMBZKyVjWOEMzyBVQw8-GzKNKlGaFnnFNv0A_cnLBUFbVReG8uMdP9YaTyA7RsffSZAZde6j5CkAPfh7GzDfxcpf4E_Mtc2wT2dJUFa5twFlbCChFx4KGOspgvZYD6pVg8AdsMbtEQa8t8AmljBqYmV-y4xpk8=w1688-h949-no

Don't worry I straightened up the MCB's before closing the cover and MCB 1 is unused.
I've done a few google searches for the breakers but they don't give an edition.

Attachments

• Best-Practice-Guide-1-Issue-3-.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • Best-Practice-Guide-1-Issue-3-.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 13

Reply to Which edition the consumer unit is in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back