Discuss White PVC twin and earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

m4fiaafg

Hello can anyone tell me whether white PVC twin and earth is still allowed to be used. I knw it was made obsolete in 2008 but was just unsure if it is acceptable to use and also to get the job certified. Cheers in advance

The insulation should be brown (line) and blue (neutral).
The colour of the sheath doesn't make a blind bit of difference, although manufacturers tend to use a white sheath to denote LS0H, and a grey sheath for PVC.

The colour of the sheath is irrelevant. If the conductors are red and black and it was installed recently then I'd say they should probably be sleeved blue and brown in order to conform.

Don't think the question of old colours came up in the OP's query!! As for white sheaths now being classified as LSF, i think that ALL cables insulation and sheaths should be LSF, it's got to make perfectly good sense. I know that all the cables on my projects over the last 20 years or so, certainly have been....

and it's a tw*t to strip.

a couple of years ago we started a install around this time of year, all LSF. Second fix was January + Febuary. I have never hated my job as much as stripping this cable in sub zero temps! Must have smacked myself with my snips well over 10 times with them slipping off! And then to top it all off i bought a new car and the reg plates last 3 letters were LSF!

a couple of years ago we started a install around this time of year, all LSF. Second fix was January + Febuary. I have never hated my job as much as stripping this cable in sub zero temps! Must have smacked myself with my snips well over 10 times with them slipping off! And then to top it all off i bought a new car and the reg plates last 3 letters were LSF!

All PVC insulation and sheathed cables would be the same in very low tempretures...
Unfortunately it's just one of PVC's drawbacks, it don't like being very cold and below 0c it shouldn't really be worked on!! lol!!

or sleeve the ends with mickey mouse brown/blue.

When Part P first came out I met a guy on the car boot,buying up as much red and black as he could I pointed out to him that they were old colours and was amazed at the answer he gave.Apparently he was rewiring his house and was going to do it himself,by using the old colours he said he wouldn't need to get a spark because nobody would know it was done after part P came in.

Years ago, talking circa over 10 years white twin and earth was sold in DIY stores and grey twin and earth wasn't available. I was informed by my senior that this was so an electrician could tell if a DIYer had been having a go at their electrics, whether this was true or not. Most recently white twin and earth denotes that that cable is low smoke and fume.

the DIY stores sold T/E in white with white clips, so that mr. diy bodger could clip it to his white skirting board and it would not look a complete pig's breakfast.

When I was an apprentice my gaffer used to make us use white t&e for fire alarm points and mi for the sounders so you could tell it apart from normal circuits.
this was pre red mi/fp fire cabling.
im sure it was Pirelli.
any white I've seen recently is lsf which is indeed a pest to strip.

IMG_30635072577367.jpeg

Yea..ouch

Don't think the question of old colours came up in the OP's query!! As for white sheaths now being classified as LSF, i think that ALL cables insulation and sheaths should be LSF, it's got to make perfectly good sense. I know that all the cables on my projects over the last 20 years or so, certainly have been....

I took the OP's question to be about old colours. The reason I mentioned it is because harmonisation referred only to the insulation colours and not the sheath colours.
So to answer the question - yes you can still use cable with white sheath, but not if it has red and black insulation.

Aint it just. Smashed myself in face many times thanks to LSF stripping..usually sub zero temps too

score it down the middle with a stanley first. same as with 6mm and 10mm. then the cpc will pull out easily without snapping.

Years ago, talking circa over 10 years white twin and earth was sold in DIY stores and grey twin and earth wasn't available. I was informed by my senior that this was so an electrician could tell if a DIYer had been having a go at their electrics, whether this was true or not. Most recently white twin and earth denotes that that cable is low smoke and fume.

What a load of tosh, I was installing white-sheathed T&E along with grey years ago, totally interchangeably, just used whichever I had at the time. Couldn't have cared less if the sheath was bright pink!

My brother got distracted by me whilst stripping cable in a confined cupboard

The cutters caught him a little lower than they did in your picture,his eye was dealt a mortal blow
When in hospital,the sister frightened the life out of me by saying that to lose one eye,it could seriously effect the other
The prospect of him going blind was very worrying

Be very careful in the future folks when stripping with cutters and never ever pull them towards you,it can go wrong so very quickly

Up till then I had witnessed a couple of gashed eyelids and brows with usually inexperienced mates and would chuckle at the mishap of these near misses,howecer, never since that occasion has these sort of mishaps been taken lightly by me
It can be a tough world out there with cutters folks,so be very careful won't you

Ummm....I was sat on a drum of cable. Mp3 playing. Twist and shout came on. I did some dance/bum jiggling hit in eyebrow.

Thought I was crying from one eye...carpenter took that photo show me.

Sometimes I pull up, sometimes to the right.

Yea knuckles normally come off worse

Ummm....I was sat on a drum of cable. Mp3 playing. Twist and shout came on. I did some dance/bum jiggling hit in eyebrow.

Thought I was crying from one eye...carpenter took that photo show me.

Sometimes I pull up, sometimes to the right.

Yea knuckles normally come off worse

Ahh the famous sparky work dance...
Yes many have come off the dance floor hurt after showing their moves!!

Luckily never have myself but apparently made others ears bleed while singing.

:D

I am master of the sparky work dance :)

Ahhh singing...its a safety rule on building sites, lets people know where you are, no singing means theres been an accident.

Even better when everyone joins into a classic..had groups singing bohemian rhapsody and build me up buttercup.

I always follow the very old golden rule when working with knives;

"Cut towards your mate not yourself"

It's not as dangerous as it sounds, your mate should never be close enough to get hit but it's a good way to remind yourself.

I am master of the sparky work dance :)

Ahhh singing...its a safety rule on building sites, lets people know where you are, no singing means theres been an accident.

Even better when everyone joins into a classic..had groups singing bohemian rhapsody and build me up buttercup.

I dont work on site so never done that but have irritated many a person singing on gantries and sat on ladder racking above the celling so people know not who/where I am lol

Ive overheard some convos I wish I hadnt in the past as well :s

I dont work on site so never done that but have irritated many a person singing on gantries and sat on ladder racking above the celling so people know not who/where I am lol

Ive overheard some convos I wish I hadnt in the past as well :s

Ooo intriguing...spill the gossip.

Reply to White PVC twin and earth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net