Currently reading:
Who owns a grade card?

Discuss Who owns a grade card? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest77

Just wondering after seeing a few threads of late regarding them, I am aware it is a gold card today, out of interest who has a grade card of somekind? post up what you have, lets see how many on the forum is actually a card holder, just out of interest, it doesn't mean much, I know several brilliant sparks who never even did an apprenticeship, they are retired now though.

I will start, I am a JIB gold card holder with Site Technician stamped on mine, next please.

But MICC is not taught anymore is it?, that's my point.!!! Watered down training. I do know a little on NVQ portfolio, any mug can photograph saying they done this an that, don't mean they done it. lol

i didnt know this was happening about photos and portfolios etc ,this is amazing to think your whole training can be based on what you learn in a classroom and some photos .
This has stunned me , to think of all the on site training over a number of years and that you had to satisfy tradesmen and the company that you were competent and could do any of the work to a good standard , and be signed off I honestly didn't know this is what is happening , so I can now see why the industry is on its knees with guys coming on here asking for experience , but more surprising is that they have attained the qualifications without any training .
I am honestly happy to have attained what I have and when I got it . Feel sorry for lads that want to do the right thing but have to follow this syllabus with the dam equals as a Electrical Trainee

I am in favour of the jib card but the people on the desk must read from a script!!
I was first told I couldn't have an approved card I applied for mine late in life as I didn`t have an nvq 3 !!!
also told her nvq did not exist in my day !!still would not budge
gave her my qualifications 236 1 and 2, 232 pt 3 ,am 1 and 2 onc. and 2391 which they took as my nvq 3 and gave me install and maintenance on my card
had a friend who applied for an upgrade to approved status with reference from firm and sent off pat test certificate with it and got technician status
so sees to me sometimes no rhyme or reason to them

i didnt know this was happening about photos and portfolios etc ,this is amazing to think your whole training can be based on what you learn in a classroom and some photos .
This has stunned me , to think of all the on site training over a number of years and that you had to satisfy tradesmen and the company that you were competent and could do any of the work to a good standard , and be signed off I honestly didn't know this is what is happening , so I can now see why the industry is on its knees with guys coming on here asking for experience , but more surprising is that they have attained the qualifications without any training .
I am honestly happy to have attained what I have and when I got it . Feel sorry for lads that want to do the right thing but have to follow this syllabus with the dam equals as a Electrical Trainee

to be fair I have had 2 apprentices whilst working as a subbie (both my sons) who done the modern apprentice route and they both can stand there own now with any spark, both adept In
commercial industrial and domestic and I would not have let them cut corners or not do what was required of them I taught them from day 1 a good foreman can spot a chancer by dinner time
so learn to do the basics well and you will always get a start

Yes, Ray this is the way in the 21st century, it bloody upsets me.!!!

And I can see why everybody feels the way they do about it , when I think of myself and the lads I have had with me and the hard work they had to do . It's wrong and The Jib system should show the differences between them with either a different type of card or shown on the card and should show the on job training signed of by a qualified sparks can't see that quals alone are any good any more to get a jib graded card TMO anyway

JIB approved Card / modern apprenticeship.

And as to you saying all modern apprenticeship trained electricians are crap, your full of your own ****. 4 years of on site experience makes a spark backed up with the technical city and guilds.

It takes a personal pride in your own work to be a good electrician, and there are arsehole's from every level of training who are all too quick to do a crap job.

So reading through this lot I’ve come to the same conclusion I came to 30+ years ago.

A JIB card is worth Jack S**t. Just like all the rest of the plastic qualifications.

It maybe worth Jack S**t to you Tony, but for those that want, or need to work on the bigger installation projects, without a JIB/SJIB grade card you're not going to get through the site gate!!
One thing is for sure, you won't find any 17 day/electrical trainee's with a JIB/SJIB Electricians grade card

It's not a plastic qualification, it's a grading card assessed on the real qualifications that you currently hold and verifiable experience!!.... it's that verifiable experience (aka NVQ3) that wasn't part of your training/apprenticeship that is the bone of contention here. To my mind, many of these post training/upgrade courses, are wide open to abuse, not all i might add, but too many not to ignore....

We both attained our practical skills and work experience mainly on the job from qualified mentor electricians, and at college via the practical elements attached to our courses, most of that has gone, but it's why we never had nor needed NVQ's etc....

I’ll not disagree with you. 30+ years ago I was demanding to see union and JIB cards before I would allow a new guy on site.

For transient workers union membership and a JIB card were a stipulation of our terms and conditions for contracting companies. It was the only check we had on them.
I’ve also caught them passing cards to their mates.

When interviewing for a permanent position I wanted evidence of experience, qualifications and indentures, again a company stipulation of employment.
I’ve had a few thinking a card would swing a job for them. Cut no ice with me.

Im glad you didnt take offence as that was not my intention just getting my point across.

The AM2 wasnt easy but it wasnt hard either, an extra hour would have been nice but i was always about quality rather than quantity in my work.

Can i ask when you did your CITB?

Why would you be forgetting anything by doing a NVQ3??? I just dont get that comment, its simply a portfolio of work you have done with explanations no need to forget what you have done previously.

As for justifying a NEW course????????????? We have a member on here who did it in the early 80s, so its been around 34 YEARS if i had a car that was 34 years old would that be considered new?
Had a SJIB gold card. It has expired but will be renewing within the next year.
You say that the NVQ 3 or whatever has been offered for 34 years.....So what ? The JIB/SJIB did not require it 34 years ago. I did my time under CTIB/SJIB rules at the time. AM2 CITB workbook, college and shed loads of City & Guilds and equivalents. Done the 15,16th and 17th edition....The firm I served my time with the owner was actually sitting on the SJIB board for all/most of my apprenticeship. I have put several >10 young men through their NVQ 3 and signed off their work and have learnt probably 20+ "boys" their trade to a high standard as if they left a rough job I simply made them rip it out and do it the way I had already told them. I mainly dealt in commercial and industrial but can do domestic too and i am not ashamed to do it either.
So with all of that said bearing in mind I have been training lads up to their NVQ 3 standard for 20+ years.....Do you really think that there is a "need" for me to update my CV and modernize my qualifications ? Do you think when I renew my Gold card that the SJIB are going to downgrade me ?

I've got my approved card, did a modern apprenticeship served my time and turned out just fine. It took 12/18 months to do my nvq 3 and that was done along side my level 3 tech cert and could only be done if you were employed (all of which should never of changed) my tutors had eyes like hawks aswell so no passing off someone else's work as your own like most seem to do thesedays.

i have to say its daft not taking older quals into account when grading for your gold card as the older quals seemed to be more in depth (I would of loved to of sat the C course) and they are fundamentally the same as without the older courses the current ones would never of came to be but saying that going off my current apprentice the latest colleges and courses are **** poor, he's just finished his first year of block release and tells me he's been covering level 3 content already but the basic knowledge of pretty much everything is vague at best and before he came to me all he's been doing is second fixing sockets so just goes to show if left as it is how clueless even the time served lads will end up never mind the short course chancers

Reply to Who owns a grade card? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock