Discuss whole house audio / visual advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
help please guys / girls.
I am rewiring my house and want to include a system so that I can watch movies / listen to music in any room from a central computer or harddrive and also create mood lighting.
How would I wire for this ?
I have attempted this and would like some help before I plaster.
each media point has 3 x cat5e going to a central point ( hub )
each media point has 3 x coax going to loft
10 x coax between loft and central point ( hub )
4 core speaker cable from each room via single backbox next to light switch to hub
cat5e cable from each light switch to hub
cctv cables from external points to hub
each light switch is wired seperatly in 3 core back to hub
hub is to house all mains / consumer unit and telephone incomer aswell as all data/cat5 and 10 x coax.

Does this sound like overkill or have I missed something?

sorry mate, beyond my skill level. i'd just leave doors open an strategically place a few mirrors.

help please guys / girls.
I am rewiring my house and want to include a system so that I can watch movies / listen to music in any room from a central computer or harddrive and also create mood lighting.
How would I wire for this ?
I have attempted this and would like some help before I plaster.
each media point has 3 x cat5e going to a central point ( hub )
each media point has 3 x coax going to loft
10 x coax between loft and central point ( hub )
4 core speaker cable from each room via single backbox next to light switch to hub
cat5e cable from each light switch to hub
cctv cables from external points to hub
each light switch is wired seperatly in 3 core back to hub
hub is to house all mains / consumer unit and telephone incomer aswell as all data/cat5 and 10 x coax.

Does this sound like overkill or have I missed something?

Are you talking about streaming media (DLNA) or something?

A bit more clarification might help.

Seems pretty well covered. I Have HDMI, CAT5 & Coax at every TV point. HDMI does SKY HD, Coax for Remote & Terrestrial overlaid. You can run HDMI over Cat 5 if you wish.

HDMI being some new-fangled thing that won't fit in any of your gear, so you have to bin it all and buy new stuff.just so the manufactured pop music "bands" sound even crappier. worse than bloody car manufacturers.

HDMI being some new-fangled thing that won't fit in any of your gear, so you have to bin it all and buy new stuff.just so the manufactured pop music "bands" sound even crappier. worse than bloody car manufacturers.

Come on.... don't tell me you have not bought a new telly in the last 12 years :)

never bough a new telly in my life. my dad bought one in 1973. a decca with valves for the line output stage. kept the living room warm as well.

Tel's got a garage full of old tellies from his Rumbelows days :)
haha. thereby lies a tale. worked for them 1972/73. morris 1000 van was my company vehicle. 3 tellys in the back and the front wheels were off the road.

once had a philips 2000 VCR. them and betamax were stuffed by thorn who made vhs under the brand name ferguson and others. they also owned a large proportion of the retail and rental outlets and so killed off the competition's superior quality machines all for the sake of their corporate profits.

I had no probs with it, recorded well and a wide selection of films to hire. Possibly in the 80's. Was bulky compared to todays machines!

35 years was just 1980 I reckon lol was not mine though, the old man bought it with a top of range telly off someone who came down from North with them. The pair were worth about £1,200 all them years ago, he paid about a monkey I think.

once had a philips 2000 VCR. them and betamax were stuffed by thorn who made vhs under the brand name ferguson and others. they also owned a large proportion of the retail and rental outlets and so killed off the competition's superior quality machines all for the sake of their corporate profits.

All those buildings used to exist in Enfield, Brimsdown all them years ago and I worked in a few doing my time using conduit, trunking, tray, micc, swa etc

Reply to whole house audio / visual advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net