Discuss Why do commercial sparks bash house bashers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm not going to go for the trainee forum - they want to know what time i go for a dump in order to get access to it. Not really up for giving away personal info to a random online forum ?

Supposed to be a lot of help and useful information available in the trainee forum. I once looked at the access requirements and only remember that verification of college course was required, but could be wrong. It's not unreasonable that they'd want to restrict access to those who are genuinely engaged in training.

Us that have been here a while get to access the Electricians Arms... to talk about non public things... (a bit like the Masons i think)

Have to give Dan our credentials for that too

most decent domestic sparks i know, they tend to go the extra mile.

the rate at which all the pubs are being demolished/ refurbed into care homes, we all have to go the extra mile. at this rate we'll all evolve into camels.

I've done a fair bit of Industrial and Commercial type work over the years but these days it's probably 90% Domestic. I do think that those who sneer and look down on domestic sparks in many cases wouldn't cope with that aspect of the trade or do the work particularly well if they had to.
There's an art to running in cables properly and neatly with minimal disruption or damage to the fabric of the property and you also need to be able to adapt to and overcome ever evolving snags as the work progresses at times. And with some customers you really need the patience of a saint.
It can also be exhausting, whereas although some Industrial work can involve heavy cables everything is fixed surface and easily accessible within reason. I also think that a lot of domestic work can be poorly executed and shoddy but a really good install doesn't stand out as everything is hidden with just accessories on the walls on show.

I've done a fair bit of Industrial and Commercial type work over the years but these days it's probably 90% Domestic. I do think that those who sneer and look down on domestic sparks in many cases wouldn't cope with that aspect of the trade or do the work particularly well if they had to.
There's an art to running in cables properly and neatly with minimal disruption or damage to the fabric of the property and you also need to be able to adapt to and overcome ever evolving snags as the work progresses at times. And with some customers you really need the patience of a saint.
It can also be exhausting, whereas although some Industrial work can involve heavy cables everything is fixed surface and easily accessible within reason. I also think that a lot of domestic work can be poorly executed and shoddy but a really good install doesn't stand out as everything is hidden with just accessories on the walls on show.
More so these days, yes. It all depends on the work and conditions, though. Industrial can be tough and much 'dirtier' than domestic.
As a contractor, I used to do work at a silver recovery plant, installation of new machines and services, as well as maintenance. Methods of recovery involved chemicals and the burning of x-ray plates. Never worked in worse condition, working on the burners...black as the ace of spades and absolutely shattered every night. Fault finding on breakdowns was a nightmare, everything covered in black dust and mostly in awkward spots behind the units......plus the almost unbearable heat, whilst masked up.

Last edited:

Reply to Why do commercial sparks bash house bashers? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net