Discuss Why does it always happen to me? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest111

was in work yesterday right in the middle of sorting things out for a new plant install, when I get a call that the steam cleaner has gone down.Went to wash plant and looked at machine found slight overheating on control switch and tp breaker tripped,as I was unable to get a switch I decided to link it out and operate from isolator on wall untill I can get a switch,then I get told that machine has had low pressure for a couple of weeks so out comes test gear and a fault found on motor.This morning I had to strip plant down to extract motor absolute nightmare,when I eventually strip motor all field coils fried,due to faulty switch causing it to run on 2 phases.New motor £500 +vat 7 day wait rewind £200 +vat and guess what as per usual they want it yesterday "what" I asked "is the point of having a plant maintenance engineer if you dont report problems before they become major issues" blank looks all round. And they said it shouldn,t happen to a vet.:mad2:

This is an opportunity to to sell the idea of a new motor fitted asap with old one rewound as spare, and where does it take 7days turn around to rewind a motor i can get anything up to 30kw rewound and back on site in 2days? (Apologies if you meant 7days to get new motor as lack of puntuation makes it hard reading).
As a matter of interest, why did the motor burn out??? where is the motor protection??, you want to look into this too with plans on rectifying it.

Last edited:
Phil, just accept the fact you will be the last to know when it’s failing but the first to know when it’s failed.
Another point you have to accept is “it’s your fault”.
You develop thick skin and broad shoulders.

Yes Darkwood I investigated problem today you wouldn,t believe it but here goes,3 phase 3kw machine wired via 16A skt with rcd fed from 20A isolator connected to main workshop feed protected by 50A type c tp mcb neutral borrowed from different circuit and an earth used as a live!motor burned out due to broken switch causing motor to run on 2 phases,hence low pressure.It was the manufacturer who said it would take 7 days to get new motor from Italy, motor went for rewire locally and should be back tomorrow,turned out that the "electrician" who used to come in as required was a pit man so it looks like I have my work cut out,as he as just added on and added on,found out today that the garage had no earth to it so as a temp fix had to run a 10mmGY and swapped an old fuse box with fuses in L and N for a modern board with mcb,s and rcd protection.Also got a large tub of yellow 77 as I am hoping it will hurt less when I stick the brush up my rear so I can clean up as well as sorting this other fools mess out.

I spent two years just surveying a site just to find the years of bog ups.
Believe me I found some beauties.
I turned the supply off to one plant that had been demolished 20 years (power still on?), screams from another plant 300M away. When I quizzed one of the older electricians “Oh everyone knows that was diverted years ago”, it was news to everyone else! Thank god he retired before I found more of his cock ups, I was ready to quite happily strangle him.

Reply to Why does it always happen to me? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net