Discuss Will this work to add a second switch to a fixture? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jtpeek

DIY
Reaction score
I have a light that runs off a single switch. In the same box as the single switch there is a now abandoned three wire cable running to another box on other side of room (don’t ask me why they had two switches connect to each other but not to any fixtures..). In the other box there is now only the other end of that abandoned three wire cable. I want to add a second switch for the light in the room in this box. My plan was to tie the black wire into the live wire in the first box, then use the red and white wires to connect to the first switch (after I replace first switch with a three way switch of course). I just want to make sure it’s OK that I won’t have a neutral wire on this new connection between the switches. The real live and the load to the light will still have neutrals used appropriately.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a light that runs off a single switch. In the same box as the single switch there is a now abandoned three wire cable running to another box on other side of room (don’t ask me why they had two switches connect to each other but not to any fixtures..). In the other box there is now only the other end of that abandoned three wire cable. I want to add a second switch for the light in the room in this box. My plan was to tie the black wire into the live wire in the first box, then use the red and white wires to connect to the first switch (after I replace first switch with a three way switch of course). I just want to make sure it’s OK that I won’t have a neutral wire on this new connection between the switches. The real live and the load to the light will still have neutrals used appropriately.

Any thoughts?
You don’t need a neutral at your switches. Sure you can tie the read and black together and use the red for live, but if you are using 3 way switches you will need all the conductors. 1 for the live wire
And 2 for your travelers

And you may need to replace the switch you already have, if it's not a "3-way" one.
(so confusing as it's called 2-way in the UK 🤔)
and wire it as Megawatt says, one of these:
631FD184-8DE0-4B70-831F-1D1B6B6CB382.jpegBD35BEAA-DD96-4D76-BD36-A3751BF3FF66.jpeg

Reply to Will this work to add a second switch to a fixture? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net