Discuss wireless stats.... which brand? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

i=p/u

-
Arms
Reaction score
looking at job today relating to heating system

when the heating is on,all of the building is heated, the building is a medical centre downstairs, dentists upstairs, and flat above medical centre which is used as office for dr's..

now their problem is when they cold downstairs and turn the heating on, upstairs is warm and they have to open the windows, so you can see the story here...

so what we plan to do is add 4 zone valves, one for each area including ho****er downstairs.

to get cables upstairs i have to drill through bison slab which is possible and just use mini trunking too take me into roof space and dropp back down in flat and denstists.... which i know will be a sound installation

but i was thinking maybe just use wireless stats, would these rf stats work through the bison slab giving no problems in your experience??? and is it 2 stats to one reciever?

- - - Updated - - -

cheers....

In my experience with wireless stats i have always used the siemens ones. Its one stat to one receiver. They would work fine but i have had problems with having to reprogram them as they disconnected from the receiver. I put six of them in a block of flats put them on different frequency with the dip switches and never had any problems. Hope this helps

"Hello i=p/u",

I take it that the property is built with a precast Concrete Slab [Bison Slab] First Floor - I have had problems with Radio Frequency Heating Controls on a project where there was a Concrete Slab between the Room Thermostat and the Receiver Unit - this was almost certainly due to the Steel reinforcing bars in the Concrete Slab.

The Room Thermostat was simply not being received by the receiver unit - I tried 3 different Thermostats and Receiver Units - and with the help of the Electrician on site We tested that these were ALL working when set up at each end of the Building but on the Ground Floor.

The problem when they were correctly installed was definitely a Reception / Blocked Signal Fault.

This was not a large property - it was just a Two Floor Maisonette with a Concrete Slab Floor between Floors.

I had queried this at the beginning of the Job - for exactly that reason - but I was assured by the Architect that all would be `O.K.` - it was NOT.

I should mention that this was a few Years ago when RF Heating Controls had just been released to the Market - I would think that they are much more refined now regarding the Frequency Band [?] and the probably much improved Reception of signals.

I have a Wireless Home Security Alarm which was stated to use a Frequency which `nothing / no-one else uses` - a while after I installed it I had problems with 2 Detectors - after these were replaced by the Manufacturer and the same problems happened again I had to move the Detectors away from the Doors and wire up magnetic Door Contacts to them.

Moving the Detectors about 4 Metres away from the External Walls / Doors solved the problem of whatever was interfering with them.

The reason that I mention this is that I am sceptical ever since the Heating Controls incident and the Alarm problem about RF Controls of any kind - regarding the possibility of interference / poor reception of the Receiver Unit.

Obviously I would install them in a situation where they are requested / required for the purpose of not having to disturb Decor and Carpets etc.

However - My scepticism aside I am sure that for example Honeywell RF Heating Controls are VERY reliable and unless I had a very good reason to doubt the suitability of RF Controls in a particular Building / Project I would use them.

Just consider the Concrete Slab and how far / through how many Walls the Signal from the Control to the Receiver has to `Travel` - If it is a long way through the Slab and many Walls I would suggest that You consider this carefully before specifying RF Controls or agreeing that they would definitely be suitable.

I hope that this helps in some small way.

Regards,

Chris - Heating Engineer

Last edited:

Reply to wireless stats.... which brand? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net