Discuss Wiring advice for a novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you in the UK?

The first thing is to look at it, the location of it, the size of the cable and the depth of the box will all give clues as to what this was originally for.

Looking at the picture I see things which suggest it is likely to have been a lightswitch.

Then after that use a voltage tester (not a neon screwdriver or anything like that, they are not safe to be poking in mains wiring) and operate circuit breakers one at a time to establish which circuit it is connected to.
its a shallow box but set in deep remove them connectors loads of depth to fit a single socket

it looks like a single socket on a ring was removed so adding it back is easy but, find the fuse circuit its on guessing its a 32 amp ring or 16/20 amp radial

Looking like something and actually being that thing are very different propositions.

If we set apparent conductor size to one side, as images can be misleading, and also the red tape, which may not have been placed there to indicate a switched live, we still can not be certain that it isn't a redundant light switch. What can not be set to one side is the 16mm box and I can not conceive that this was ever likely to have been placed behind anything other than a light switch.

Looking like something and actually being that thing are very different propositions.

If we set apparent conductor size to one side, as images can be misleading, and also the red tape, which may not have been placed there to indicate a switched live, we still can not be certain that it isn't a redundant light switch. What can not be set to one side is the 16mm box and I can not conceive that this was ever likely to have been placed behind anything other than a light switch.
wrong back box fitted my guess it a deep hole

Might be the angle of the photo, but it looks like a 12mm deep box. Only really used for light switches as anything else is too deep behind the plate to fit in.

Is there a light in this pantry? Switch outside the door roughly in line with this box?
I think original switch was here, inside… but it was awkward to use when shelves were full.
Someone in the past jointed through the cables and ran to a new switch position.

I also think the red is live. The black is switchwire up to the light. There is no neutral here.
wrong back box fitted might be what your seeing

first do you know the difference between 2.5 and 1.5 cable if 2.5 then its power and I have seen 16 amp radials in 1.5 if you have a volt meter tester find the fuse that turns the power off to that circuit to me it looks like 2.5 but photos can mislead

Are you in the UK?

The first thing is to look at it, the location of it, the size of the cable and the depth of the box will all give clues as to what this was originally for.

Looking at the picture I see things which suggest it is likely to have been a lightswitch.

Then after that use a voltage tester (not a neon screwdriver or anything like that, they are not safe to be poking in mains wiring) and operate circuit breakers one at a time to establish which circuit it is connected to.
it may just being used to extend the cable and nothing was ever fitted on that back box

OP means “original post” or “original poster”

The evidence we have is a single box. We think it’s shallow, so suggests a switch, rather than a socket. But photo can be deceiving.
It also shows 1.5mm cable. Again, not conclusive.
Red tape on black conductor. This also suggests a light switch. Red for feed, identified black for switch wire.

I’d say discarded lightswitch 99% sure.

The 100% confirmation is by testing between that red and black. Which none of us can do over the internet.

The OP has already said he will get an electrician in. Best course of action.

Reply to Wiring advice for a novice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net