Discuss Wiring Diagram for Building Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have a loft conversion to wire next week, and the local building control have asked for a wiring diagram before starting work. The work is just a few sockets and lights.

Is this a common request - this is the first time I've come across having to provide this in advance? The customer is thinking it will probably be OK to do the work and provide something afterwards, but so long as BC don't get stroppy about it.

This is a common request....they wish you to show your design, even if you produce a hand drawn diagram of how you propose to install the installation on A4, it will be accepted.

Are you registered with a scam or not , I have been asked to fill a form out once giving your name and your registration number and thats all , actually the building inspector popped in when I was there and demanded the builder put all his work right ,,,LOL,,
That was a complete renovation with a loft conversion,,,

It has come from LABC, they supplied an email address to send it to, but all this is relayed via the customer. Yes I am registered with ELECSA. I only anticipate something like a single A4 sheet, probably hand drawn, if I have to do anything at all, but it would be far easier if they would just accept an ELECSA registration number etc.

Phone them up, ask them to explain exactly what they require and by what date.

Probably I will check with them on Monday when I get there and see the paperwork (to start the work ...), I practically don't have the time to do anything before then anyway.

Sorry but put yourself in the building control inspectors position, I would want drawings of construction of build, showing all elevations, and internal structure..including, electrical, plumbing and fire

Have dealt with requests regarding position,type and number of items,but not "diagrams". You mentioned that this was through your customer...may be tar and feathering him early but...check that this is not HIS request to enable "pub quote" or DIY...this happens a fair bit with lots of construction tasks.

Have dealt with requests regarding position,type and number of items,but not "diagrams". You mentioned that this was through your customer...may be tar and feathering him early but...check that this is not HIS request to enable "pub quote" or DIY...this happens a fair bit with lots of construction tasks.

No, the customer doesn't actually want the diagram, and asked me to send it direct to the LABC email address she'd been given.

BC have no part to play in the design and installation of electrical systems on domestic properties where the designer/installer are part of a self certification scheme. That's the whole point of self certs for gas, electrics and windows. All they need are the notification from the scheme when you register the job.

So you have two options here.

1) Tell them to get stuffed.

2) Or, do the extra work and submit the drawings, then adjust/explain them when BC come back to you. Then explain to them why the changes or additional detail are unnecessary as their requested changes are not called for or do not comply with part 'P'. Then wait for them to check and find out you're right, then give you permission to do what you were going to in the first place.

LABC don't have any independent rights or policies (planning do, but that's another issue). There are nationally agreed standards, and nationally agreed policies. They do not have the right to alter, amend, add or detract from these.

So it all depends if the customer wants to pay extra for work which is not required, you want to do the work for free, r you want to explain to BC how the system works.

Never been asked that, not to say its not good practice. I would be more inclined to give it to the builder because his mob will be the ones damaging or moving your cables for some inexplicable reason.

Give BCO a line diagram of the proposed circuits and possible routes, other than that its virtually impossible to guarantee the end result. I assume you are signing off your own work so I cant imagine a BCO having a better grasp of electrical installation than yourself.

He is probably more concerned with notches and drilling in joists especially engineered ones...which is fair enough. When he is onsite make sure you meet him that way there is mutual respect and confidence.

Reply to Wiring Diagram for Building Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net