Discuss wiring diagram help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daniel Morgan

Hi guys long time been here ok im helping to build a drift nissan 300zx and the owner has asked me to only put in the bare minimum when it comes to electrical so literally fuel, ignition, crank headlights, taillights, indicators and wipers thats it as all the luxery accesseries are thrown away and no longer needed. However he also wants the indicators, and wiper motor controlling off a toggle switch instead of the oem stalk. So when looking into the service manul diagrams it has a breakdown on the layout/pinout of the stalk switches.

for wipers he wants two two settings (off - fast only) meaning i have to look at this diagram and figure out what wire controls just fast motion and which is off so that i can cut these and attatch to a custom toggle.

My question is im looking at the diagram and cant figure out what its trying to tell me like the lines and circles that go through the grids.

If someone could shed some light on how to understand and read these diagrams i would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

On the Drawing;
Circles = Joins
Lines crossing = no joins

On the Grid;
The circles and lines show connections when the switch is in a set position

eg Front wiper;
when set to OFF, 10 joins to 11
When set to HI, 12, 13, 14 are all joined

Last edited:
Thanks for your speedy response so as a example if i wanted to find out what number wire was powering the wiper motor on fast how could i identify this wire/s?

Thanks again

On the Drawing;
Circles = Joins
Lines crossing = no joins

On the Grid;
The circles and lines show connections when the switch is in a set position

eg Front wiper;
when set to OFF, 10 joins to 11
When set to HI, 12, 13, 14 are all joined

This is brilliant help thanks alot. sorry for bumb questions so finally if i was to use a double pole double throw toggle switch to create an off and fast mode for the wipers (flick switch left off - switch right fast only) i could cut wires going into 10 and 11 from the oem connector, join them together and attatch, solder to the off pin of toggle.

as for fast only cut wires 12,13,14 join together and solder/join to the on pin of the togle switch

Or will i need power power going to the togle in order for this theory to work?

Many Thanks again

Also,do not forget details like,without an ignition live to the motor unit,it ill not "self-park",which an arsy MOT inspector could frown on...if a 20mm bullet hole in the swept area is distracting,a pair of stalled arms will...:smile5:

Also,do not forget details like,without an ignition live to the motor unit,it ill not "self-park",which an arsy MOT inspector could frown on...if a 20mm bullet hole in the swept area is distracting,a pair of stalled arms will...:smile5:

Sorry mate not sure what you mean. He would have a race toggle switch panel so ignition, fuel, engine start and battery isolation off one panel

This is brilliant help thanks alot. sorry for bumb questions so finally if i was to use a double pole double throw toggle switch to create an off and fast mode for the wipers (flick switch left off - switch right fast only) i could cut wires going into 10 and 11 from the oem connector, join them together and attatch, solder to the off pin of toggle.

as for fast only cut wires 12,13,14 join together and solder/join to the on pin of the togle switch

Or will i need power power going to the togle in order for this theory to work?

Many Thanks again

No, the switch needs to make and break those connections, joining the wires together will result in the wipers running permanently.

Last edited:
No, the switch needs to make and break those connections, joining the wires together will result in the wipers running permanently.

OK no problem so is their a way of doing this on a small simple switch like a toggle? We want rid of the standard stalk as it gets in our way hense designing our own to mount on the dash. Many thanks

So how about a three way toggle, would that mean left is on and centre is off leaving the right pin disconnected.

Hi dude,if you study how the "self-park" facility functions,on a standard wiper unit,it will become clearer hoe you will need to arrange switching.
I have done my share of drifting (ballooning and fishtailing) including six years of banger racing...and a OEM stalk never hampered me...:yes:

Hi dude,if you study how the "self-park" facility functions,on a standard wiper unit,it will become clearer hoe you will need to arrange switching.
I have done my share of drifting (ballooning and fishtailing) including six years of banger racing...and a OEM stalk never hampered me...:yes:

Your right mate but im just going by what my mate whats his setup like. not sure what you mean by self-park facility functions im guessing your refering to the way in which the oem stalk engages each setting of the wipers? He wants all accessories on the dash labeled even things like wipers so pritty much most switches ideally need to run off toggles. hazzard we were going to use a push to lock button to engage hazzards so going to reuse over the flasher unit

Self park is the system by which the wipers return to their normal position at the bottom of the windscreen when you turn them off. Without it they will stop at whatever position they are in when you switch them off.

Self park is the system by which the wipers return to their normal position at the bottom of the windscreen when you turn them off. Without it they will stop at whatever position they are in when you switch them off.

Ah I see thanks for that so in theory when the wiper is say on the slowest speed their is usually a 5 second rest before it moves again so within these 5 seconds the switch/ relay must engage ground to stop the motor then disconnect from earth to re engage the wiper.

So if I test when the switch sends 12v for the wiper and when it rests at ground I could replicate my own switch to do the same?

^ As above,the motor will have (originally) an ignition switched feed,which arrives via the wiper gear,through a position contact,which breaks at wiper arm park position. Any further operation of motor,momentary or mechanical,if ignition on,results in one full cycle of wiper operation,back to park position.

If no feed from speed control,or timer circuit,(stalk selected),then wipers stop. If ignition switch off,wipers stop,but will continue to park, when ignition switched on again.

This needs to be remembered,when playing with wiper unit,with battery connected,as one full cycle of operation when not expected can sever fingers.:38:

Reply to wiring diagram help in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net