Discuss Wiring outside light with 5 wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Richard Cook

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m trying to fit a new outside light. From the wall is blue, brown and earth but the light itself as blue, brown, and red from the lamp and brown and blue from the PIR.

Can you help?

There should be instructions with which connections is Live Neautral and Earth…
The other cables are the interlinking between the sensor and the light.

A photograph of the connections will help.

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be instructions with which connections is Live Neautral and Earth…
The other cables are the interlinking between the sensor and the light.

A photograph of the connections will help.
Thanks for the help.

See the attached from the instructions.

One cable from light has blue and brown and the other has blue brown and red

Attachments

• 6AC21EF1-0664-47CE-A0D2-72E2CFDA323E.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help.

See the attached from the instructions.

One cable from light has blue and brown and the other has blue brown and red
And this is what the wiring of the light looks like

Attachments

• 85AEDABB-753D-4014-8004-AD6F66100041.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 15
The white block is the PIR sensor with blue neutral, brown live in, and red switched live out.
The black twin cable appears to go to the bulb.
If you can confirm the latter is true, then the brown of that black flex goes to the Wago on the red.
The blue of the white PIR sensor goes to the Wago on the blue of the black flex, and your blue from the wall goes in that Wago too.
And if you can follow that lot, the rest you can work out!

And in my defence this is not step by step instructions, it's a statement of how it is supposed to be electrically connected, given the hardware provided does not tally with the instructions shown.

Last edited:
The white block is the PIR sensor with blue neutral, brown live in, and red switched live out.
The black twin cable appears to go to the bulb.
If you can confirm the latter is true, then the brown of that black flex goes to the Wago on the red.
The blue of the white PIR sensor goes to the Wago on the blue of the black flex, and your blue from the wall goes in that Wago too.
And if you can follow that lot, the rest you can work out!

And in my defence this is not step by step instructions, it's a statement of how it is supposed to be electrically connected, given the hardware provided does not tally with the instructions shown.
I think you’re totally right! I’ll report back but this makes the most sense and yes the black cable with brown and blue is from bulb 👍🏻

Reply to Wiring outside light with 5 wires in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net