Discuss Wiring Single wifi Dimmer switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kjudge

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

Total novi e but have wired multiple light switches previously and survived :)
I've bought a nice WiFi enabled dinner switch for a new LED light - the wiring manual says it requires a neutral to be able to function- as you will see from my photo the current switch has COM and L1 and all the neutral wires are terminated in a block. So my question is do I just run a spare bit of cable from the block to the neutral on the new switch or something else? Wiring diagram for the new one is also pictured.

Much appreciate any help.

Attachments

• 20231007_115349.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231007_115320.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 7
Done all that - nothing blew up which is great however the dimming isn't working properly it goes dimmer at 70% but moving down to anything lower brings it back up to full brightness. Not sure I'd it could be to do with the wire I've used for the neutral as it's the wire I took from the ceiling rose which is not as thick? I'll try swapping it for better quality wire - thanks for your help

The lights are LED… it’s very hit and miss whether a particular make of dimmer works with a particular make of light.

Not all LEDs are dimmable, and not all dimmers work with LED

Have you got a tester to check that the assumption made in post #3 is correct?
It does sound perfectly reasonable to make that assumption unless there was another light on this circuit!

Can you change the bulb in the light fitting (to filament) to check it works properly with a 'resistive' load?

Before you start attributing blame, with a plug and a bit of flex, why not wire the parts together on the table (being careful) and see if it works properly? If not, that's sound evidence that the dimmer and bulb are not compatible, or that one of them is faulty, and you can complain or get your money back etc.
At the moment we are assuming that the two brown wires are permanent live, and the blue wires are neutral. And I've assumed you don't have the test equipment to prove that (even though very likely!)

Reply to Wiring Single wifi Dimmer switch in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net