• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Wiring to Cabin from House? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jt123

-
Reaction score
Morning All,

Wondered if anybody could give me some advice.
We've recently moved into a new property and are having a cabin built at the end of the garden which is about 6 meters away from the house. I am looking to get some power in there for a light, 400W heater, and also run a water pump for the pond (plus an extra socket or two for a radio etc).

With the property being new the Consumer unit is located at the front of the house, and taking a feed directly from this with an additional MCB is just not going to be possible due to the layout of the property, and new decor!
My plan is to spur off the downstairs sockets ring main through the wall using 6mm T+E cable, terminated into a Wiska style junction box where it'll connect onto some 6mm SWA cable to run underground and into a 3 way garage consumer unit with RCD protection in the cabin. From that I'll have two MCB's on the unit , one for the light and one for the sockets.

Does this sound like a safe plan? I know what the proper way would be and if there was any way we would. But the location of the Unit in the house just won't allow running a new cable without extensive redecorating.

I am pretty competent with DIY electrics but never go ahead until I've sought professional advice, so I will be getting an electrician in to run this past first either way.

Really appreciate any help :)

Welcome to the forum mate.
Have you posted this before, under a different name... I'll see if I can find it.

Can you not get a cable from the CU, around the outside of the house, then to the cabin?
What earthing system does your house have?
Does the cabin have any metal fittings of copper pipes going to it?
Why 6mm cable.
2 RCD in series will cause problems... depending on the type of RCD's. (I presume your CU have RCD protection)

Power and lighting to garden shed - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/power-and-lighting-to-garden-shed.124120/
This was the thread I was thinking of... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Morning All,

Wondered if anybody could give me some advice.
We've recently moved into a new property and are having a cabin built at the end of the garden which is about 6 meters away from the house. I am looking to get some power in there for a light, 400W heater, and also run a water pump for the pond (plus an extra socket or two for a radio etc).

With the property being new the Consumer unit is located at the front of the house, and taking a feed directly from this with an additional MCB is just not going to be possible due to the layout of the property, and new decor!
My plan is to spur off the downstairs sockets ring main through the wall using 6mm T+E cable, terminated into a Wiska style junction box where it'll connect onto some 6mm SWA cable to run underground and into a 3 way garage consumer unit with RCD protection in the cabin. From that I'll have two MCB's on the unit , one for the light and one for the sockets.

Does this sound like a safe plan? I know what the proper way would be and if there was any way we would. But the location of the Unit in the house just won't allow running a new cable without extensive redecorating.

I am pretty competent with DIY electrics but never go ahead until I've sought professional advice, so I will be getting an electrician in to run this past first either way.

Really appreciate any help :)
Not a good idea to do what you are suggesting, very bad design.

Low impact version is a proper extension cord that you run out when you need it (from a circuit with RCD protection) or in my humble opinion it's a new circuit. It may seem easier to Frankenstein it, but it's just not a good idea :) .

Have you posted this before, under a different name... I'll see if I can find it.

Can you not get a cable from the CU, around the outside of the house, then to the cabin?
Why 6mm cable.
2 RCD in series will cause problems... depending on the type of RCD's. (I presume your CU have RCD protection)

Power and lighting to garden shed - https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/power-and-lighting-to-garden-shed.124120/
Bit of an age gap on the poster Spoon????

Low impact version is a proper extension cord that you run out when you need it (from a circuit with RCD protection) or in my humble opinion it's a new circuit. It may seem easier to Frankenstein it, but it's just not a good idea :) .

He wants to run a water pump from it, so I presume he will want it running most of the time....
Will have to wait until the OP gets back to us with more info, so we can advise better.

Yes agree was just letting you know, one was 21 the other 64

lmao.... not much of a difference.... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

My body feels 64 but my brain 21....

I never go and check out their info... maybe I should do that more often..

lmao.... not much of a difference.... :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

My body feels 64 but my brain 21....

I never go and check out their info... maybe I should do that more often..
If you're busy that's understandable, me nothing much to do, hence my attempt at a Colombo impersonation :sunglasses:

Why 6mm cable.

Thanks for your replies. No, we couldn't run the cable round the house as it's not detached, It's a townhouse in between two others

Not too sure on the Earthing system, sorry.
No metal fittings or copper pipes in the cabin.
6mm only because I've done a bit of research prior and from what I can see majority say use 6mm cable or above for future proofing (I've probably misunderstood)
This is what I was planning to fit in the cabin: British General 5-Module 3-Way Populated Garage Consumer Unit - https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-5-module-3-way-populated-garage-consumer-unit/1926g#product_additional_details_container

again, thanks for your help.
PS- I think I entered my DOB wrong. I'm 31, not 21 :) Wish I was!

If you're busy that's understandable, me nothing much to do, hence my attempt at a Colombo impersonation :sunglasses:

I love Colombo.... Don't get scared now mate.. unless you look like him..:tearsofjoy:

I've just bought a bag of popcorn, this one's going be fun

I don't know what you mean... What could possibly go wrong.. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

We are here to help OP... Just need your feedback on the questions...

If you really must supply the outbuilding from the house socket circuit, do it via a 13A switched fused connection unit in the house, with another one rated at 3A in the outbuilding to supply the lights.

(Assuming that the existing socket circuit is 30mA RCD protected and no extraneous metalwork in the outbuilding.)

Reply to Wiring to Cabin from House? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back