Discuss Wiring up a mobile catering van. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

My friend has two coffee trailers, I did not carryout the electrical installation, however I have been and carried out periodic inspections on them on two occasions. Everything is bonded, but it is for the most part wired in twin and earth in plastic conduit. Generally they are powered by Honda smart generators (2 of) that can be linked to increase capacity if needed. There is an RCD main switch installed that becomes entirely non functional when power is supplied from the generators. But comes into effect as soon as the trailers are plugged in at his home. In this case is an earth rod really required? I actually installed one temporarily and it appeared to make no difference to the correct operation of the RCD (including the one feeding his garage, feeding the socket outlet) which both tripped quickly.
Any thoughts on this?

My friend has two coffee trailers, I did not carryout the electrical installation, however I have been and carried out periodic inspections on them on two occasions. Everything is bonded, but it is for the most part wired in twin and earth in plastic conduit. Generally they are powered by Honda smart generators (2 of) that can be linked to increase capacity if needed. There is an RCD main switch installed that becomes entirely non functional when power is supplied from the generators. But comes into effect as soon as the trailers are plugged in at his home. In this case is an earth rod really required? I actually installed one temporarily and it appeared to make no difference to the correct operation of the RCD (including the one feeding his garage, feeding the socket outlet) which both tripped quickly.
Any thoughts on this?

His house would have been a TN-S and the supply would have had an earth core in it.

As someone who has worked on event sites and provided power to umpteen caterers I would recommend a 32A input as the amount of vans I visit where they have two 13A tea urns and a small water heater boiling away on a 16A input and wonder why the power has gone off... where only a 16A supply is available through in a 16A to 32A jumper - should cost £15 and can be carried round.

There was one fish and chip van in Hyde Park last year that turned up with a 63A three phase input (which tripped a few times due to overload)!

Any cabling supplied for connecting up to the unit should be rubber flex as anything external is covered by BS7909 which prohibits Arctic for outside use

You'd get away with 16A for only a couple of sockets, a few lights and a small BV if your burners are running on gas, but yeah, you're absolutely right, 32A would be better!

His house would have been a TN-S and the supply would have had an earth core in it.

I have seen many occasions where caravans have plugged into 16A 30ma rcd supplies usually
TN-S as you have pointed out.
From what you say, the user of a portable unit should identify the means of earthing and suitability, and also consider the use of a rod where appropriate.
In the real world I wonder how many take those measures.
Can you make such an installation for portable vans and trailers idiot proof by design ??
Probably not, but how far can you or how far do caravan manufacturers and the like go ???
Thanks for post 18 sir.

whatever you do with this damn burger bar do it quickly , there'll be truckers on the A6 wanting their breaky in the morning.
;-)

From what you say, the user of a portable unit should identify the means of earthing and suitability, and also consider the use of a rod where appropriate.
In the real world I wonder how many take those measures.

Barely anyone lol!

Can you make such an installation for portable vans and trailers idiot proof by design ??

To a certain degree yes, make sure the installation comes with a genny and tell them NEVER to tap into a permanent supply. Maybe modify the genny and trailer so that they have a totally proprietary plug/socket system??

I've got a mobile library to test in the near future. 230v genny on board supplying sockets for computer points. I haven't seen it yet, so don't know too much about it. The firm involved build special vehicles but this is a bit unusual for them, I think. Looks like electrical separation will be needed..... I feel a little more than they expect.

Electrical separation will be provided by the very nature of the genny :)

True, the bonding I mean. I'm only guessing at present and thinking about a certificate to use. Make something up. Testing someone else's work, I suppose, so a good examination needed.

Reply to Wiring up a mobile catering van. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net