Discuss Working out of hours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

connerm36

Hi there, im new to site! Finished my apprenticeship last year, with my dads company, a subby has just recently left and its just me and him(we dont get on great but get the jobs done) He doesnt do anything but work, even at home, home is the office... As he is the boss, he has to do the paperwork, certificates etc even if it requires out of hours work, its his choice, his company. Now the question im asking, he has just got another licsence for the Cert program and wants me to start doing certificates and paper work to go with it at home(i dont live with him) after working hours, i feel as if he expecting me to do what he does, when ive only really just finished my appreticeship. I feel he is trying to pass me some of his load...is this the norm? I dont really know any other young electricians like me so i cant ask them. iIf anyone sees this in a different light say something, i need to know as ive been sheltered really, hes always in control and has never let me do anything my own way, always his way..., all i know is my dad company, i , is it different in bigger companies? Any help would be grateful :)

That’s a weird one, it seems like family business to me, and there is nothing we can advice you, if you and your father doing well in earning the decent living, I would say, just do what you told. When you have your own company, you work 24/7 until you can afford to back out and let the others do the work, seems It is your turn now, and most probably you end up owning this business in future.

I think the main question here is:
Do you like to be an electrician yourself, and one day own your own company???

Last edited:
He is probably trying to teach you his work ethic. If I were you I would do it because if/when you eventually work for yourself you will find that your dads way is actually the way that it is for most of us. Good luck with it all though because I can see it from both sides.

He is probably trying to teach you his work ethic. If I were you I would do it because if/when you eventually work for yourself you will find that your dads way is actually the way that it is for most of us. Good luck with it all though because I can see it from both sides.

In other words don't only look to the negatives, you just might be grateful for his work ethics later on in life. At the very least you'll know what's required, to keep a business afloat!!

Methinks you haven't ever had to look for work! Take it from your old man mate, he knows what its all about and believe me, he's probably thinking more about your future than getting rid of his workload.

I say as long as you feel you are paid right and he is not taking **** then get on with it, you are doing the paperwork for your own work how long will it really take (a few forms max per day).

Thanks for the replies and advice guys, I understand what you are all saying about the work ethic and can see where he might be coming from, as for the pay I know it varies from company. Im on 9.25p/h, would you say thats okay for recently qualified, goings to jobs on my own, doing certs at home (out of hours). Whoever said it your right, this job is the only one ive had. I am thinking of looking elsewhere, because of personal relations with the father are not good and I think its affecting how i see him, hes not my boss but he is and hes not my dad but he is if yous get me, we have full blown arguments at work ...but I dont have a clue how to approach him for fear of neglect and hate towards me because he put me through the apprenticeship straight from school.or other employers for that matter...
Cheers for taking the time to reply. Bit of an essay lol...

Good luck Pal. Cant hurt to get some other experience. May even help you both out in the short term as long as your old man doesn't take you leaving to heart. Stubborn old bunch us sparks you know.

It's a shame that your your relationship with your dad has deteriorated to such a point. Have you ever thought about calling for a truce between the pair of you, even if it is ''6 of one and a half dozen of the other''??

that is a real shame life is too short for that kind of thing, I would have a word and say you are going to find another job as this cant go on ( no offence but he is the adult here and needs to step up sort it out or let you go work elsewhere

im in a unique position in this discussion as i did my electricians training whilst working for my dad , but it sounds like we got on alot better in comparison to the working relationship with your dad.

firstly , at just over £9 p/h , you are definatley underpaid for your position.

secondly , although your dad is teaching you his work ethic and all the other aspects of running a business which is good , youre still too young , you should be just getting on with developing and enjoying your new skills without the burden of sharing his admin tasks , sounds to me like only he benefits from this arrangement.

i left my dad after 5 years on good terms , he knew it was right for me to move on although i thought i should stay longer

its the other way round here as you want to move on and he wants you to stay....

but it doesnt matter , the end result is still the same , its time to go and develope your own career away from your dads firm , you'll be a more rounded spark doing different jobs for different companies.

so against everyone elses advice , i say go now , it will only get worse with resentment.

Reply to Working out of hours in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net