Discuss Wylex 3rd Amendment CU - TT recommendation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've picked up my first 3rd Amendment CU, a Wylex one. Inside was a sheet containing recommendations for maintaining IP ratings for cable entries and when using a TT supply, bottom right in attachment. Now I thing I'm right in saying that the pictured 100ma RCCB's are manufactured in insulated plastic, of the type to be 'outlawed' by reg. 421.1.201. Would you say that these RCCB's are 'switchgear assemblies', as described by said reg?

Attachments

• 3rd Amend149.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 271
  • 3rd Amend.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 196
I would say that they are certainly similar assemblies and also likely to catch fire (well as likely as the CU anyway!) and so they must be in metal boxes, therefore you still need another RCD to protect those tails..... until you can get the RCD outside the property and do a risk assessment that says a fire in this will not affect the building structure.!!
Well thought out IET idiots.

Chicken & egg thing, perhaps someone can come up with a double insulated RCCB enclosure, with a surrounding metal casing! Have Wylex dropped a boo boo?

It seems to be getting a bit ridiculous, even on a TT install if the tails come in through a proper gland correctly fitted surely they'll be fine ? I bet a time delayed 100ma RCD won't leave you much change from £60+ on top of the more expensive board and extra work.

Yes they did mess up there. I would probably put a 100mA type S in place of the main switch and use apprpriate glanding with double insulated tails going directly into the terminals of the RCD.

Yes they did mess up there. I would probably put a 100mA type S in place of the main switch and use apprpriate glanding with double insulated tails going directly into the terminals of the RCD.

I can see that using an RCD as a main switch will prevent the metal CU becoming live, should the bus bar somehow become shorted out. There is still a possibility of a short between metal case and tails after they have entered the CU, even if you use a stuffing gland. There's a good video by John Ward (someone else posted before) which highlights the issue. Can't cut & paste here for some reason, just google 'TT supply to metal consumer units.

Like the idea of the consumer unit pattrass, dunno how much they cost though?

It would be very unlikely of the tails being damaged and touching the metal case of the DB if you use the appropriately sized gland and carrying the double insulation of the tails directly upto the termination point. There is little possibility of severe damage to the tails once inside the C.U.

Last edited:
It would be very unlikely of the tails being damaged and touching the metal case of the DB if you use the appropriately sized gland and carrying the double insulation of the tails directly upto the termination point. There is little possibility of severe damage to the tails once inside the C.U.
Just playing devils advocate, although unlikey, it is possible, depending on how the cables are routed inside the CU. That's why prior to the 3rd Amendment, insulated CU's or external 100ma RCD (with metal CU's) were recommended for TT supplies. Just using a plastic bush was not enough. So now because we will have to fit metal CU's, we can suddenly forget about the prior recommendations for TT supplies, that does not make sense to me. It is possible to have a highly dangerous situation to exist, when using a metal CU with TT supply. The onus is on us to resolve this. Seems no thought has been given by IET/BSI to this conundrum.

Rang Wylex TechSupport. They hadn't seen recommendation sheet supplied with their CU. They gave me the mobile number of their sales operations manager (or something like that). So I rang him. He was bit surprised. He suggested that a ‘common sense approach should be made, and that using a plastic RCCB before a metal CU is a lessor of the two evils. If the RCCB was to catch fire as opposed to the metal CU becoming live, that would be less hazardous. But we are the manufacturer and I should seek advice from whom I’m registered’.

Waiting for a response from my scheme,......but its been a while!

Well had my reply. Apparently the answer is on page 32-34, in the new yellow On-Site-Guide. Various diagrams with different CU arrangements on TT system, 'all of which are acceptable'.

Now I haven't got round to buying one of them yet (Xmas present possibly!). Anybody got one and can enlighten us with the basics?

Thanks Richard. Having had a quick look, seems the only viable option suggested by the new yellow OSG, is figure 3.6.3 (ii) with a 100ma time delayed RCD as main switch. There's nothing to protect the incoming tails supplying this RCD as it enters the metal CU. Does not suggest the option recommended by Wylex. I understand Wylex offer a plastic stuffing gland and Hager a tails clamp.
Prior to Amendment 3, and I quote 'The enclosures of RCD's or Consumer Units incorating RCD's in TT installations should have an all-insulated or Class II construction. Otherwise additional precautions recommended by the manufacturer need to be taken to prevent faults to earth on the supply side of the 100ma RCD' unquote.
Seems that this paragraph has been deleted from the yellow OSG.

I know this is a bit old now, but been to look at a job today which needs a cu change and is TT, so been doing some looking at this. Noticed in the OSG, figure 3.6.3 page 33 that it says for the enclosure 'for TT installation insulated enclosure or further mechanical protection to meter tails'

There you have it OSG says insulated enclosure is fine...

I know this is a bit old now, but been to look at a job today which needs a cu change and is TT, so been doing some looking at this. Noticed in the OSG, figure 3.6.3 page 33 that it says for the enclosure 'for TT installation insulated enclosure or further mechanical protection to meter tails'

Remember that the requirement for fire proof enclosures only applies to domestic installations.....the OSG is not exclusively about domestic installs,there is no reason why an insulated CU could not be installed in a commercial situation for example.

Don't think so Paul. I haven't got a copy of the yellow OSG yet, but Richard posted a copy of pages 32-35 at #14. No mention of insulated enclosure there, as far as I can see. I've emailed my scheme on this, and they referred me to those pages. Also watched a 'webinair' by NIC/ELECSA, and that nice young Darren Stantinforth said for TT, using double insulated tails and protect them, when entering the metal enclosure, with a dedicated plastic gland (such as Wiska sprint tail kit, or the Wylex gland), would be suitable for a TT supply. Hager have also introduced a cable clamp for the tails. Are you in a scheme? If so ask them. In the past the, we were always told to use insulated for TT, now I don't think they have properly thought this through. Even the new OSG say's the chance of internal cable links/bus bars touching the metal enclosure are 'minimal', so still possible. You could consider a time delay RCD as main switch?

Reply to Wylex 3rd Amendment CU - TT recommendation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net