Discuss y plan mid position valve in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gaz061

Hi and thanks for looking any advice would be much appreciated

I have a Y plan system

Mid position valve stuck on heating and will not pass to middle or water

customer just moved into home, new valve head fitted no luck and all wiring looks good

any help appreciated

thanks

thanks for your reply

the valve does not move but when calling for hw boiler kicks in
could it be micrswitch set wrong on back of programmer?

I didn't have time to do full tests but trying to get as much advice as I can as I haven't come across this with y plan before

If you didn't do full testing why did you change the valve head?

What I meant was does the valve actually move or is it stuck? If you take the head off and try to turn the spindle by hand does it move? It should move freely with you fingers without needing to use pliers.

plumber changed head then called me in to have a look
I didn't have a lot of time today to stay and test more

cabling seemed to be in rite place im going back Thursday to do full investigation

any help of what to look for would be appreciated

Test it through properly with voltage checker, could be the controller, plumbers tend to jump to conclusions - I have known them change a whole boiler when it was a controller or valve at fault.

So what testing have you done?

What happens if you turn HW channel on and turn cylinder stat up?
and then cylinder stat down?
What happens if you turn CH channel on and turn roomstat up?
and roomstat down?
What happens if both channels are on and you operate the stats?
What happens if both stats are left up and you operate the programmer channels?

Is it a problem that has appeared on a previously ok system or is it a new install? You say the 3 port valve moves freely when head removed?

You say the valve is stuck on CH and will not move to water but normally the HW is the default setting, i.e. the valve is open to HW when there is no power to the valve.
So if the system calls for HW then the valve should not move.

Oh dear oh dear ...... words fail me. :frown2:
No jumping to conclusions for you then :)

There is one plumber / 'heating engineer' I do bits for that is useless at understanding the control side (hence he calls us in) that doesn't like to lose face in front of the client so makes guesswork diagnosis and then later calls us when it still don't work.

I get the same got called back to a job I did on friday by the plumber because the boiler and pump weren't responding to programmer or any controls , plumber had manually open'd heating valve and left it , and couldn't see it wot a Walter

Reply to y plan mid position valve in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net