Discuss Yell! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

RWJ

-
Arms
Reaction score
Just had Yell phone me on my personal mobile because due to their constant harassment our company have their numbers blocked on our telephone system.

The long and short is they want us to pay £200 per month to be top of google, but we are already top of the non advert google. They just don't take no for an answer.

They have already ripped us off once when they gave us a "30 day free trial" then sent us an invoice for £400, then got Moorcroft to harass us until our briefs told them to take us to court.

I tore three strips off the guy, he got my personal number from T-Mobile who will be getting a call from me!!!
Why didn't he phone one of my bosses up!! I'm not even at work this week I'm off looking after the kids!!!!

I hear this all the time. If somebody could move positions round in Google, they'd be billionaires, just like Google. Would a billionaire need to call you to offer their services? Nope.

touchlocal, btcustomerstreet, yell, and all the millions of others, give you free listings so they can hound you with calls afterwards to sell you upgrades that even the salespeople on the end of the phone don't understand, as it wouldn't be them carrying out the work.

Google gives a lot less 'weight' to directory websites than it does your own. So build a site of your own (from 50 - 500 for the first year, and 50 a year thereafter - don't pay more than that though) and you'll rank just find for regional related search terms such as 'Sparky in Somewhere'.

I hear this all the time. If somebody could move positions round in Google, they'd be billionaires, just like Google. Would a billionaire need to call you to offer their services? Nope.

touchlocal, btcustomerstreet, yell, and all the millions of others, give you free listings so they can hound you with calls afterwards to sell you upgrades that even the salespeople on the end of the phone don't understand, as it wouldn't be them carrying out the work.

Google gives a lot less 'weight' to directory websites than it does your own. So build a site of your own (from 50 - 500 for the first year, and 50 a year thereafter - don't pay more than that though) and you'll rank just find for regional related search terms such as 'Sparky in Somewhere'.

And that's from a man who knows what he's talking about.... Stick anything electrical in google and this site always appears!

Register your mobiles, landlines etc with the Telephone Preference Service (TPC) and when you get sales calls, you can politely ask them if they are aware that you're registered with the TPC - I find it silences them, and often I get an apology for the unsolicited call.

Register your mobiles, landlines etc with the Telephone Preference Service (TPC) and when you get sales calls, you can politely ask them if they are aware that you're registered with the TPC - I find it silences them, and often I get an apology for the unsolicited call.

All our numbers are... but we advertise with Yellow Pages (only under the NICEIC Sub Heading) so I don't think the TPS will touch them.... On the other hand they have not right to call my mobile... I don't even make budget decisions!!!!

Slightly off topic but do any of you find paying for an add in the yellow pages is worth the money? I have a website that is near the top of the regional searchs but have no yellow pages listing yet.

I'm still peeved with T-Mobile for giving them my personal number ..... I wouldn't mind but I'm only a foreman not the company boss!! Why don't they call him

yell managed to scam me..! i was looking at been in the book for a few areas..! any way some how it went on to been a internet based add! they provided me a website which i was on understanding would be a route to my site but no no no...! its a shoddy copy of mine! ARGH! at end of year all i will be renewing is my stamdard listing as it does bring work in so i cant get rid of that!!

Becareful with Yell!!! and BT streets can f off!!!

I did yell and yellow pages for 1 year, spent £550.00 got 1 job from it for about £200 ish. Did thomson local, cost the same, got 2 jobs from it.

All our numbers are... but we advertise with Yellow Pages (only under the NICEIC Sub Heading) so I don't think the TPS will touch them.... On the other hand they have not right to call my mobile... I don't even make budget decisions!!!!

RWJ or anyone that gets an unwanted call from any British company tell them these words. "Telephone communication act 1988, you may not call this number again, please take it off your data base. Any further calls will be reported".

Telephone law, if they call you again after your request they can be fined by the ombudsman.

As people have said you have got to be really careful . I get calls all the time from companies saying i can be number one on their website. What chance have i got of getting work when i havent even heared of them. As with google it takes alot of work and no-one can garantee that.

I pay Yell £68 per month. I have had a few jobs from the add and so far it has more than paid for itself, just. However, shortly after my listing appeared I got a job through a friend that will probably take 9 months, at least. So I never bothered altering my listing and I only accept jobs that I can do over the weekend.

The salesman that sorted my advert out told me that I could advertise in a second region, as I live on the border between two Yell regions, and it wouldn't be that much extra but he assured me I would get loads of business from the one region. Loads of business? Definitely not and the phone calls I get are all local, all but one have been from my postcode, which suggests that most people find me by typing in their postcode and looking for an electrician.

Reply to Yell! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net