Discuss 1 Meter and 2 flats in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

King84

Trainee
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

a landlord is converting a house into two flats and wants a separate consumer unit for both flats upstairs and downstairs. He also does not want a private meter but a separate meter so they both get separate Bills.
Its not a simple job of henley block and split supplies as separate meter is required also demand and diversity needs to be taken into account which would be sufficient for two flats but what is the best approach.
What is the best recommendation for the landlord to accomodate separate meter arrangement .
I have advised him to have consumer unit and distribution board with separate private meter but he wants separate bills
thanks everyone

The only way to get separate bills is to ask for a new supply .
the energy supplier should be able to quote for you.

There are not very many ways to skin this cat:
-he tries to order a new single phase supply (~ £10K)
-he asks to upgrade to 3 phase (~ think of a very large number then double it)

I believe that distribution regulations would prevent a 2nd meter on the original cutout these days.
He may reconsider your idea when he sees the costs involved.

In both cases he needs to consider max demand, and a key factor in that is heating - has he got gas, and will he be similarly splitting that, or is it electric heating?

Might be lucky, if there is already a 3 phase head with only one single phase meter.
worth asking for a quote, see if it is an option.

There are not very many ways to skin this cat:
-he tries to order a new single phase supply (~ £10K)
-he asks to upgrade to 3 phase (~ think of a very large number then double it)

I believe that distribution regulations would prevent a 2nd meter on the original cutout these days.
He may reconsider your idea when he sees the costs involved.

In both cases he needs to consider max demand, and a key factor in that is heating - has he got gas, and will he be similarly splitting that, or is it electric heating?
You are right timehoward, but heating wont be an issue as there wont be any electrical ovens or shower and I am not sure about the gas as they only asked me for electrical opinion.
You raised any interesting point about not having 2nd meter on original cutout which I was not aware of.
Thanks for the info

Might be lucky, if there is already a 3 phase head with only one single phase meter.
worth asking for a quote, see if it is an option.
James there is a single phase supply so that not an option.
I never came across this situation before so was wondering what others do in similar situation.

You raised any interesting point about not having 2nd meter on original cutout which I was not aware of.
I'm 99% sure they won't do this now.

There is one other option - divide up the installations and provide a private card/coin/token meter for both dwellings in addition to the normal meter with the landlord paying the overall bill.
It's a lot more hassle for the landlord, they would have to sell the cards/tokens, or empty the coin/token meters.
There is not a lot that is appealing about this idea, other than the considerably lower initial cost.

RDL are one company that make these, some accept £1 and £2 coins, some accept tokens and some use payment cards.

You are right timehoward, but heating wont be an issue as there wont be any electrical ovens or shower and I am not sure about the gas as they only asked me for electrical opinion.
Thanks for the info
Highly unlikely they will give you a second meter on the same cutout. Ask for a quote for new supply or check if there is already a 3 phase head there.

I come across Loads of old converted Flats ( one old big house chopped into 2 flats ) that share a common supply, so one head and one meter and one consumer unit in one of the Flats. I honestly to this day have no idea how they make this situation work unless they just split the bill 50/50 each month.

I come across Loads of old converted Flats ( one old big house chopped into 2 flats ) that share a common supply, so one head and one meter and one consumer unit in one of the Flats. I honestly to this day have no idea how they make this situation work unless they just split the bill 50/50 each month.
Or maybe services and utilities are included in rent.

Hi everyone,

a landlord is converting a house into two flats and wants a separate consumer unit for both flats upstairs and downstairs. He also does not want a private meter but a separate meter so they both get separate Bills.
Its not a simple job of henley block and split supplies as separate meter is required also demand and diversity needs to be taken into account which would be sufficient for two flats but what is the best approach.
What is the best recommendation for the landlord to accomodate separate meter arrangement .
I have advised him to have consumer unit and distribution board with separate private meter but he wants separate bills
thanks everyone
There's a company that will supply separate meters for installation, and they sort the individual billing.

I installed these in 4 separate units.

These were supplied by the landlord, so I don't know the companies name that he uses, but if you can't find one, I will give the guy a ring and find out for you.

Edit did a quick search and found this one

Last edited:
There is one other option - divide up the installations and provide a private card/coin/token meter for both dwellings in addition to the normal meter with the landlord paying the overall bill.
It's a lot more hassle for the landlord, they would have to sell the cards/tokens, or empty the coin/token meters.
There is not a lot that is appealing about this idea, other than the considerably lower initial cost.
If you go down this road, it's advisable to take regular readings from both sub meters and the DNO meter and to check that the subs added together are tracking the DNO, and, in the case of prepayment sub meters, that the value of payments tracks the electricity used.
I'm writing from experience.

This can be done. First you need a new MPAN number for the other meter. You will need to split the supply and feed SWA to upstairs coming off a control gear fused switched supply at 60A each. You will need to work out the loads and check the diversity ratings, should work out ok and the design of the wiring will have to take this into account anyway.
of course you will have the tails and isolator switches for the energy provider to connect to the cut-out for the upper flat. There should be little to do on the lower flat as it already has a supply. You can move the lighting/sockets for upstairs over to new cu upstairs. Should not really be a problem. The time factor may be as depending on the energy provider, it can take a long time sometimes...
I have recently done this with a shop/flat above. No problem really.

Reply to 1 Meter and 2 flats in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net