Discuss 16 to 18 edition update in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,I have 2 questions,I have 16th edition and would like to get 18th(been abroad for last 10yrs),do I need to do full edition or is there a bridging course?
I did 3 years night classes while working for an electrician and achieved a c&g level 3 certificate in the knowledge of electrical installation engineering,2004-2006,of like to start working again here and become part p registered,what would be the way forward in terms of new qualifications.
Attached is current qualifications
Thanks
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_20230803_131418.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 18
Awarded to Mr. Allen Key :)

Sorry, not very helpful that. Welcome to the forum!

I'm thinking with the fact that you have been out of the industry for a good while and are 2 steps back as far as the regulations go, it may be better doing the full course? I'm sure some will disagree with me, but just my own thoughts.

I'm thinking with the fact that you have been out of the industry for a good while and are 2 steps back as far as the regulations go, it may be better doing the full course? I'm sure some will disagree with me, but just my own thoughts.
Thank you,

Yes I was thinking the same pretty much but my father who is an electrician here too said I should rather do bridge if possible,I was in south Africa for 10 yrs and ran my own electrical company so iv stayed in the game but qualifications don't really mean much there ,I was going to convert my qualifications there but it wasn't an easy process and a risk of losing Ur original certs.

As far as i know mate 'part p registration' isn't a thing. To notify work under Part P you'll need to be a member of a competent person's scheme which means you'll need your NVQ3, AM2, 18th edition and initial testing and inspection.

As far as i know mate 'part p registration' isn't a thing. To notify work under Part P you'll need to be a member of a competent person's scheme which means you'll need your NVQ3, AM2, 18th edition and initial testing and inspection.

Yes I realise that,need to be with NIC or elecsa ect,so the nvq 3 how is that different from my attached c&g level 3,if I remember correctly when I went to join college I was told to do this 1 through night classes as I was already working for an electrician daily and wouldn't need to go to full time day lessons to learn how to bend conduit and so on as I was already doing day to day things like that so just needed the theory side of things,I then went on to do the 2391 inspection and testing but failed the theory and past the practical and didn't go back and try again🙈

Yes I realise that,need to be with NIC or elecsa
Elecsa aren't a body any more, they got swallowed by NICEIC i think. Your options now are NICEIC or Napit.
ect,so the nvq 3 how is that different from my attached c&g level 3
NVQ is on site portfolio of work. You basically have to take pics of your work and write up a portfolio for it, hitting various markers and knowledge bases to pass. You'll then, as part of it, need to pass the AM2.
f I remember correctly when I went to join college I was told to do this 1 through night classes as I was already working for an electrician daily and wouldn't need to go to full time day lessons to learn how to bend conduit and so on as I was already doing day to day things like that so just needed the theory side of things,I then went on to do the 2391 inspection and testing but failed the theory and past the practical and didn't go back and try again🙈
I'd use Anki to memorise the theory side of things. If you can do the testing then you just need to remember the theory side and you'll breeze it.

I did exactly what the OP is seeking to do, 16th to 18th. Yes, a lot has changed. A lot hasn’t changed too!

My path was:
18th Edition course and exam from Learn Zone Media
Watching every John Ward video to refresh testing concepts
2391 course at college
Making a regular fool of myself on this forum.
Napit 7232 course to demonstrate competence.

There’s two parts to this journey - being competent and confident again, and meeting the entry requirements of a CPS scheme. The latter has changed since I did it so I’d speak to the big two before you plan a training route.
All the best.

Its crazy what you have to go through now just to fit a couple of sockets in someones house but you can wire a complete factory with many potential killing machines in them without even knowing how to read and write.

Dont you need your AM2 now despite what other qualifications you have if you are a newbie and want to join a scam provider these days. As older sparks retire I cant see too many younger ones wanting to take this route, so the customer pays more and more as availability becomes less and less.

@Garrrry do not forget that none of these so called qualifications are mandatory to work as an electrician in the UK, its the scheme providers that insist on them, as you have not been out of practice, just get a copy of the latest documents and read up on the difference's between what you know and the latest recommendations, they are not "regulations" despite what IEC say on the cover of the BS, quite a few of the members on here do not belong to a scheme and self certify part P to the local authority.

@Garrrry do not forget that none of these so called qualifications are mandatory to work as an electrician in the UK, its the scheme providers that insist on them, as you have not been out of practice, just get a copy of the latest documents and read up on the difference's between what you know and the latest recommendations, they are not "regulations" despite what IEC say on the cover of the BS

Not mandatory as such, but if you end up in court then the judge may want to know how you ensure your work is to the correct standards. Having the relevant qualifications for your trade are a damn good way of evidencing this.

And evidencing that you followed or bettered the recommendations in the BS then you have proved your work is to a correct or better standard.

Reply to 16 to 18 edition update in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net