Discuss 2 socket usb fitting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dan Moore

this may sounds like a stupid question but i want to replace my current double socket with a double with usb. Now when ive replace normal ones in past ive never this problem but my current socket only needs one earth wheee as the usb one needs 2 earth inputs but ive only got 1 earth in wall. Can i still put the new usb one on the wall?

Lacking the cleverness of a PC ,
some dislike the hi demands put on them by tablets.
If built in to a extension lead they are easy to swap ,mine lasted 4 years .
And died in a memorable fashon .
(the always on bit is part of the problem)

We don't have suppliers for all the newfandangled stuff you guys get at your wholesalers so I made my own USB socket out of some bits and pieces I had laying around. Each of the charging modules has its own switch. I'll post a pic in a few minutes.

I understand where you're coming from but the problem isn't anything to do with the principal of USB outlets in sockets, it's only the manufacturing quality of the internal switch mode supply. Surely it would be better to focus on keeping the uncertified poor quality accessories out of the marketplace rather that banning USB sockets?

I looked into these usb sockets recently and it has shown that the cheap imported versions and there are many of them out there have the transformers that are inside permanently live irrespective of whether a usb cable is plugged in or not meaning that its constantly live. The good more expensive known brands have a switching function built in to the transformers so it is only made live when a usb cable is plugged in and the device being charged is requiring power. The moment the device has been charged the power to the transformer is turned off and is no longer live making the socket a lot safer.
Cheap imports have been reported as known sources of fire and I would recommend research on the product brand before installing ensuring it has the function of isolating power to the transformers when not in use.

That looks good but is it bordering on a A Rube Goldberg machine. Basically over complicating a simple thing.

I agree these usb sockets are a disaster waiting to happen. there is a new Uni Halls along end of my old road. They have had untold issues with them, many failures and over heating issues they have gone round and taken them all out for normal sockets.

If you mean your USB socket has 2 Earth connections left side and right then they are both linked together and the cpc(earth) can go in either side.
Is there only one cable at the existing socket outlet?
Wasn't the point behind these high integrity double cpc connector sockets due to the cumulative amount of potential or actual earth leakage that can accumulate on circuits where lots of computers and so forth could be present? i vaguely recall something about it when at college in the early 2000's. Not really had to consider it due to nature of my jobs.

Wasn't the point behind these high integrity double cpc connector sockets due to the cumulative amount of potential or actual earth leakage that can accumulate on circuits where lots of computers and so forth could be present? i vaguely recall something about it when at college in the early 2000's. Not really had to consider it due to nature of my jobs.
Where current in the protective conductor is expected to be 10mA or over then high integrity earthing is required so as a ring final has duplicated cpcs then these require to be connected in separate connections at every socket and point of accessory including terminated at the consumer unit in separate terminals and suitably labelled , so yes socket outlets with 2 cpc connections must be used in a scenario such as IT installations if required

If you mean your USB socket has 2 Earth connections left side and right then they are both linked together and the cpc(earth) can go in either side.
Is there only one cable at the existing socket outlet?
I can't remember if it was John Ward or Big Clive stripped a socket plate (may or may not have had integral USB). But the two earth terminals were not interconnected

Reply to 2 socket usb fitting in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net