Discuss 2010 Kia Sorento kx2 rear indicator problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello

I have a problem with my 2010 Kia Sorento kx2. I recently bought a second hand trailer. I was told all the lights were working so I plugged it in. However, nothing works.

When I got home I found a number of shorts on the trailer that I have now fixed. However, my car since has a persistent problem that I cannot fix, even when the trailer is not connected. Namely, when the rear lights are on, the rear indicators flash very weakly and they all flash fast to indicate a problem. When the lights are off they work correctly.

Things I have tried:

• Spraying trailer socket with WD40
  • Disconnecting the trailer module (52400526N) that resides in the car boot. This made things worse and the indicators no longer work at all when this module is unplugged.
  • Running a ground wire from a stud nearby to the ground on the indicator
  • Disconnecting battery to reboot ECU

None of this has worked.

Can anyone think of anything else I could try?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

Last edited:
Hello

I have a problem with my 2010 Kia Sorento kx2. I recently bought a second hand trailer. I was told all the lights were working so I plugged it in. However, nothing works.

When I got home I found a number of shorts on the trailer that I have now fixed. However, my car since has a persistent problem that I cannot fix, even when the trailer is not connected. Namely, when the rear lights are on, the rear indicators flash very weakly and they all flash fast to indicate a problem. When the lights are off they work correctly.

Things I have tried:

• Spraying trailer socket with WD40
  • Disconnecting the trailer module (52400526N) that resides in the car boot. This made things worse and the indicators no longer work at all when this module is unplugged.
  • Running a ground wire from a stud nearby to the ground on the indicator
  • Disconnecting battery to reboot ECU

None of this has worked.

Can anyone think of anything else I could try?

Many thanks in advance

Richard

It does sound like it could be an earthing issue. Might be worth measuring between ground points and the trailer plug and see what resistance readings you get?

Possibly worth trying some more temporary earth links as well. Maybe take one from the car chassis to the trailer lights (obviously when the car is connected to the trailer).

Have you checked the fuse box for any blown fuse?

Have you checked the fuse box for any blown fuse?
I've had a look through and can't find any. I haven't managed to find a tail lamp fuse but I'm guessing that they are powered straight through the BCM?

Are there any in particular that I need to look for (beyond the obvious Warning Light fuse, Tail lamp fuse, etc..)

It does sound like it could be an earthing issue. Might be worth measuring between ground points and the trailer plug and see what resistance readings you get?

Possibly worth trying some more temporary earth links as well. Maybe take one from the car chassis to the trailer lights (obviously when the car is connected to the trailer).
Thank you

I did try this and couldn't find anything concerning but to be thorough I might try running a lead straight from battery terminal to the ground of the bulb to fully rule it out

I'm concentrating on getting the car working in it's own before I worry about the trailer but then I'll try that idea too

I found the cause. There was an extra bank of hidden fuses that are not in the manual or on the two main fuse boxes, and were presumably fitted as part of the tow bar electrics (even though these appear to be factory spec).

A 10A fuse here was blown and when I replaced it everything came to life.

Still struggling to understand how this could cause the symptoms I had (indicators working when the main lights were off) but glad to have found it.

Thanks for all your suggestions

I found the cause. There was an extra bank of hidden fuses that are not in the manual or on the two main fuse boxes, and were presumably fitted as part of the tow bar electrics (even though these appear to be factory spec).

A 10A fuse here was blown and when I replaced it everything came to life.

Still struggling to understand how this could cause the symptoms I had (indicators working when the main lights were off) but glad to have found it.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Great stuff. Nice cheap fix!

Reply to 2010 Kia Sorento kx2 rear indicator problem in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net