Discuss 3 Phase generator install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

keithbr13

Hi every one, I have been asked to install a 3 phase genny to power an engineering workshop, could any body give me some advice on what is needed as far as earthing ( realise it will need an earth spike) There is no electrical supply in the building so the plan is to run a 3ph dis board from the genny.

Before anyone should answer this query, you'll need to tell us if this is going to be a permanent installation, or a stop gap solution? what the rating is, of this Genny, and what the envisaged loading is going to be??

What i can tell you is, this is going to be some expensive power for this workshop. Also, relying on a single generator to supply a commercial business, is also a bit of a folly!!

When we install Gennys for long term/temp power we usually stick an earth stake down and take the main fuses out and take the tails out of the board and just connect up the genny up, usually they come with some H05 or SY-flex, maybe be an option to stick a 125A 3ph+N+E outlet going into the board maybe?

You need to reference the Genny to earth, that's why the spike is needed. You need to bond it to any metalwork that is reachable from the Genny.
You then connect the tails as normal.

Hi every one, I have been asked to install a 3 phase genny to power an engineering workshop, could any body give me some advice on what is needed as far as earthing ( realise it will need an earth spike) There is no electrical supply in the building so the plan is to run a 3ph dis board from the genny.

Who has spec'ed the Gen-Set? What experience do they have of this type of installation, what is the workshop to be used for, you say engineering, so is it all power tools, lathes, stamping and press machines...as E54 asked, what is the expected loading on this thing...will it be a short term solution to allow for a permanent grid connected supply or will this be the permanent thing?

Being a commercial building there are serious considerations to take into account for such an installation, not least of which will be emergency lighting and alarm systems, fire and burglar. The gen will have to run 24/7 or you will kill the batteries in E-Lights and alarm systems in no time. How will they deal with regular maintenance, if this is running 24/7, or even 12/5 then regular and stringent maintenance is an absolute priority.

Things are not as simply as pulling up, plugging in and spiking the Gen set...

Hi everyone , The generator is a 77Kva, proposal is to power a small workshop in a farm building, a cnc miller and a couple of other 3 Ph machines. the generator will only be used for the 3 ph supply feeding a dis board for these machines. A 35mm SWA will be used to connect the board to the generator and a separate 16 mm earth connected to the generator and earth spike. do I need to take any thing else in to consideration ?

Who came up with 77KVA for a small workshop? There’s got to be more that a milling M/c and a few other bits.

I’ll give it about a month before the engine is shot.

Reply to 3 Phase generator install in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net