Discuss 3 phase head in a single phase meter Uk energy networks saying I'm not 3 phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kensington

Hello all I have just purchased a 1970 Bungalow which is directly behind the main area sub station owned by Uk Energy Networks. My property has a 3phase head old brown bakerlite one I called up Uk energy networks who confirm that the property is indeed serviced by a 3 phase supply. I want the head cable moved from the kitchen into the garage about less than ten meters away and I also want 3 phase supply so finding out that the property had a 3 phase supply was a bonus .... however when the Uk Energy technician came and visited the property last week he did not test the head but remakes that its not necessary a 3 phase supply and that it was normal in the 70s to install a 3 phase head really??? he got out out the iPad and said the supply cable is bunched ???? and that a new 40 meter cable and I have to dig the trench would cost 3k.. my electrician has confirmed that all 4 fuses which say 100amp each are all live and 400v are on the head.. Are Uk energy trying to pull a fast one or can someone explain the bunched to me

regards
Mike
I have attached the pic of the mains head

Attachments

• IMG_2455.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 134
I can't really help you on the terminology but couldn't you just put in a 3 phase submain into your garage? Would be a whole lot cheaper.
Then get your meter moved into the new position.
I'd wait to see what another more experienced member comes up with first.

The characteristics of the supply are given at the consumers terminals downstream of the meter. There might well be three phases at the head but it's immaterial at the moment because they are contracted to supply you with single-phase service. It's up to them whether they are prepared to convert to supply 3-phase, potentially at your cost, or drop the other phases when relocating your meter.

Last edited:
So I have just had it independently tested and its confirmed that it is a 3 phase supply and each wire is pulling 100amp
so don't trust the visit from a uk energy technician. I will be filling a complaint to ofgem and the energy minister Amber Rudd
Having a cable just moved is just £900 not the £2300 quoted to lay a new cable when its already there

They wont want to move and re-terminate a 45 year old cable and then guarantee it's good for another 50 or 100 years.

They can't pull it out the head live and move and re-terminate, it would have to be cut off outside.
Once they've cut it off they wouldn't reconnect an old piece of cable then terminate that into a new head.

You'd be the first to complain if the cable failed after a couple of years and the driveway had to be dug up.

Bunched; page 14, 7.3,

https://library.ukpowernetworks.co....ts/EDS+08-0136+LV+Network+Design+Standard.pdf

Last edited:
How could the other phases possibly be pulling anything let alone 100A if you have no connection to them?

And I presume they have a right to charge for an upgrade to a three-phase service if they weren't contracted to supply one even if it is readily available.

All I know is that each cable in the head is testing live at 100 amp each including the ones not used the head is a phase head the cable coming into the property is 3 phase so why i am told its not buy that technician,

I will be filling a complaint to ofgem and the energy minister Amber Rudd
Having a cable just moved is just £900 not the £2300 quoted to lay a new cable when its already there

Have you had a written quote or was the price just verbal?

Filing a complaint at this stage seems a bit over the top.
Have you contacted UKPN for an explanation?

Just does not make sense I get the feeling I'm being charged for something i have already got

Looking at the photo, you are supplied with 230v single phase, how are you being charged for something you don't have, can't see the logic in that statement.

So I have just had it independently tested and its confirmed that it is a 3 phase supply and each wire is pulling 100amp
so don't trust the visit from a uk energy technician. I will be filling a complaint to ofgem and the energy minister Amber Rudd

How have you had this confirmed and who did it?... it is a criminal offense to open/access the cutout without exclusive permision from the DNO and they don't do that as a rule for obvious safety reasons, to go in full steam saying you have had it confirmed and tested could land you in trouble.
The supply may be 3ph as you suggest but that does not mean the network has the capacity to give you the availability of the other 2 phases, it would depend on the alloted KVA allowance of all the transformer loads so regardless of it been there physically has no bearing on whether it is available for use. You may need a need cable running to an alternative supply.
I have worked with the DNO often and they are well regulated, it is unlikely they are trying to pull a fast one, you can ask for a second opinion but if you feel its been incorrectly assessed but I would be surprised tbh if it had.
I would in your position ask them what they mean when they say the cable is bunched, its possible it might be in a grouped joint in the road and not possible to re-use the existing but I also am not familiar with the terminology they used here, all I can say is if you do go in all bells ringing and steam pooring from your ears they will simply deny your request and you will be stuck with your existing supply.

Last edited:
They wont want to move and re-terminate a 45 year old cable and then guarantee it's good for another 50 or 100 years.

They can't pull it out the head live and move and re-terminate, it would have to be cut off outside.
Once they've cut it off they wouldn't reconnect an old piece of cable then terminate that into a new head.

You'd be the first to complain if the cable failed after a couple of years and the driveway had to be dug up.

Bunched; page 14, 7.3,

https://library.ukpowernetworks.co....ts/EDS+08-0136+LV+Network+Design+Standard.pdf

I have just watched the DNO removing the cable live from the head, then cutting it live. They then tape it up, pull it through the house wall to the outside. Next they cut it to size (live), tape it up again and terminate it into a new head (all done live). This is my first experience of watching this so I cant say whether or not this is the norm, but I'd be surprised if this was the first time they had done it that way!

Hi,

My take on this is, and I could be completely wrong. Bunching may be the cables are joined together to basically provide a single phase supply ( x3 ) at the head. Did the Electrician measure across the incoming phases or just check there was a voltage at each one. Could be all the same phase?

Regards.

he measured across and just to be clear again the supply cable is a 3 phase one the main head is a 3 phase head the feeds are all live at 100amp each 400v but for some reason keep being told its a single phase even the quote states to disconnect a single phase to upgrade to a 3 phase supply EVEN I HAVE 3 PHASE HERE... the only single phase thing is the meter

How on earth can each wire be pulling 100 Amps when there is only one fuse in use

Hello all I have just purchased a 1970 Bungalow which is directly behind the main area sub station owned by Uk Energy Networks. My property has a 3phase head old brown bakerlite one I called up Uk energy networks who confirm that the property is indeed serviced by a 3 phase supply. I want the head cable moved from the kitchen into the garage about less than ten meters away and I also want 3 phase supply so finding out that the property had a 3 phase supply was a bonus .... however when the Uk Energy technician came and visited the property last week he did not test the head but remakes that its not necessary a 3 phase supply and that it was normal in the 70s to install a 3 phase head really??? he got out out the iPad and said the supply cable is bunched ???? and that a new 40 meter cable and I have to dig the trench would cost 3k.. my electrician has confirmed that all 4 fuses which say 100amp each are all live and 400v are on the head.. Are Uk energy trying to pull a fast one or can someone explain the bunched to me

regards
Mike
I have attached the pic of the mains head
Looks like a 3 phase cut out but only single phase in supply, the neutral is connected to the yellow phase end rather than the other end which is marked black, this tells me the cut out was altered to single phase some time ago, probably when a new meter was fitted.

How on earth can each wire be pulling 100 Amps when there is only one fuse in use

I was wondering that pete. I'm thinking the cutouts have been removed and it has been seen that a 100A fuse is in each of them and that perhaps it is just the language that kensington is getting a little confused with. I have no experience with 3 phase but if each phase is testing at 400V (although again this value does seem unlikely, you would expect it to be a little more) does this not mean it is a 3 phase supply?

Reply to 3 phase head in a single phase meter Uk energy networks saying I'm not 3 phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net