Discuss 40KW Export Metering in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi after some wise words.

We have got a 40Kw install to start in 2 weeks, just a bit unfamiliar with the export.

Can some one confirm the procedure we have had acceptance of our G59 Application with the DNO no witnessing required G59/2 Inverters.

Does my customer have to have an export meter, and if so how do I go about this.

I am correct in thinking that good energy offer a good export payment as they expect to export quite a large percentage ie more than 50%

Thanking you for your replys

There is no deeming of export for systems above 30kW so if your customer wants to be paid for the export they will need an export meter. If the customer is planning to sign-up with Good Energy then it is best to approach them first. This is not usually a zero-cost option and will affect the ROI.

Unless it has changed, you have to buy your energy from good energy before they will except metered export.
I went into this in great detail, Scottish power were the same, so you have to make many calculations to work out which is the best, IE unit price of electricity supplied, price paid for export, charge for running export meter, installation of export meter, etc etc, you will also need an export MPAN number.

The export MPAN (which is needed by the supplier to comply with OFGEM regs) is usually allocated by the DNO. The supplier and the DNO would communicate this between themselves directly.

depends on how much customer will export if they can use at least 80% an export isnt worth bothering with cause there are cost implications set against the tariff returns

MPAN. Meter Point Administration Number, this is issued by the DNO, however the export meter is normally supplied and run by your energy/FITS provider, on metered export they are the same, unlike deemed where you can have a different FITS provider to your energy provider.
The cost of installing and running an Export meter varies with different providers, so does their charge for energy, so you have to make many calculations as to which will be the best deal, you have to take into account how much energy is used, how much they charge for running the meter, some want a GSM card so they can read it remotely, oh , not forgetting half hourly metering on your supply.

One example I had was the customer would have been £200 worse off by having an export meter, even though he is exporting around 80% of PV production, this was on a 30KWP system.

This is all my understanding of it, and I spent a long time trying to work it all out, of course somebody might know an easy way, or things may have changed, as they often do in this industry.

I hope this helps.

The difference was 30% of export, Ie 50% deemed over 80% estimated export, so at 3.1p it is not a huge amount of money, factor into that all the annual charges for export/ half hourly metering, gsm card charging, additional cost of supply electricity as the export/electricity provider has to be the same, so I did well to get it down to £200.
All that said there is nothing to stop my customer from having an export meter fitted another day should he be able to benefit.

There a re lots of metering operators, you do not have to have either the DNO or the Electrcity provider as your meter operator. Once you get into HH metering, the actual metering is a seperate operation / service.

Reply to 40KW Export Metering in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net