Search the forum,

Discuss Problem on job with bungalow in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Must of read it wrong, where it says change your old downlighters for fire rated ones and we will ISSUE you with a fire safety downlighter certificate. If I was customer I would read that as you issuing a cert of some kind, not a bit of paper out of the box . But thanx for reply, good luck

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Comes with the downlighters i will install to say they are guaranteed fireproof JCE or something cant remember the make there from screwfix - 10 for like 58 quid cant remember check them out (Elecfix maybe)
Be very careful of what you promise. If you state anywhere that you issue a safety certificate for equipment you become liable for it, even if you're issuing the manufacturers one. It's a legal minefield that people will use to get out of paying up for faulty equipment. Basically you need to state that all equipment is installed in accordance with manufacturers instructions and any claims are to be made against the manufacturer in case of fault be design or construction, statutory rights are not affected blah blah blah...

Have you had a legal bod look over your companies terms and conditions? It's worth the money, especially when it comes to bigger jobs such as rewires.

Why is he a member of the arms ?

Here, here and why hasn't he been banned for openly admitting to advertising as an NICEIC contractor when he then admits to not being? Clearly brings the forum and the industry into disrepute?

And for what it's worth if you want to attract electrical business, do a good job. The promises of Ipads and other freebies are irrelvant. Get a good name as someone that does a good job for a reasonable price and people will keep asking you back to do more work, or recommend you. Start out lying (claims of being and NICEIC member), offering non-exisitant certificates and generally ****ing people off on this website and it will be a bumpy road for you.

BTW what are you doing next week... MIET by any chance?

At 22 you have an enormous amount to learn about running a successful business, let alone the ins and outs of being an electrical contractor, maintaining and fault finding on kit that may be up to 50+ years old.

At 22 you have an enormous amount to learn about running a successful business, let alone the ins and outs of being an electrical contractor, maintaining and fault finding on kit that may be up to 50+ years old.

That was really my point a few posts back. The sheer enormity of the domestic, commercial and industrial services on offer are just mind-blowing for someone who's never even run a business, especially at 22 years old.
Still, as he says...."
Guess ive just got around the industry lol done everything from domestic to commercial to industrial", so he has some guts that's for sure.

Guess ive just got around the industry lol done everything from domestic to commercial to industrial", so he has some guts that's for sure.

He is offering all that on his website Guitarist, and then on the very first post of this thread is asking for advice on a RFC RCD tripping fault that any half decent spark would have found, or at least narrowed down in minutes, and would not have even asked about.
Sorry I don't normally post negative comments, but in view of the 'Niciec episode' this just has chancer written all over it.

I understand the OP is young and just starting out, but as others have said you have to learn to walk before you can run.

He sounds like one of those types of guys who likes to have Managing Director on his buisness card even though
he's a sole operator lol.

Hmmm , gives me an idea , vice president of biff industries has a nice ring to it :-D

He is offering all that on his website Guitarist, and then on the very first post of this thread is asking for advice on a RFC RCD tripping fault that any half decent spark would have found, or at least narrowed down in minutes, and would not have even asked about.
Sorry I don't normally post negative comments, but in view of the 'Niciec episode' this just has chancer written all over it.

I understand the OP is young and just starting out, but as others have said you have to learn to walk before you can run.

[/LEFT]

Exactly. There's another old saying he needs to remember... Pride comes before a fall.

He sounds like one of those types of guys who likes to have Managing Director on his buisness card even though

Hmmm , gives me an idea , vice president of biff industries has a nice ring to it :-D

president .. wily coyote. VP... roadrunner. would this be acme electrical industries by any chance?

About the op, we had an idea what it was my gfs sisters bf came home and asked if any ideas we went through everything on here before i posted and just posted to see if theres owt we missed.. Which we hadnt =) i wouldnt take on any job i couldnt handle, i would sub out! Im 22 and trying at least im doing something rather than the other 1,000,000 18-23 year olds who are just on the dole sat about claiming benefits, houses and having children to get more money... Im trying hard, learning alot thanks to this site and hopefully can be successful all this slating is just getting me down making me think maybe i cnt do this mayve i cnt run my own and shud stay on dole untill i gt a job... Which in this climate would be forever...

Im trying hard.. And sorry if i upset or offend anyone on the way i just appreciafe the help people are giving me

Alright Axel,

Let's reset.

Nobody is criticising you for wanting to better yourself, as we all do.
If you had been upfront from the outset you would have received a completely different response, and probably a lot more constructive help, including help with your website.

What has got peoples backs up, is that you naively (on the website) advertised something that clearly wasn't true, which is at best stupid, or at worst fraudulent.
You can't kid the sparks on here, as we have seen it all before, and chancers, diyer's etc. are seen through fairly quickly, now Iam not suggesting you are either of these, but you are not what you claimed either, and once you have lost peoples trust it is very difficult to get back.
None of us like 'Blaggers'.
A lot of us have been in the trade longer than you have been alive, and we are still learning, a lot of us have paid fortunes and a lot of time and effort to get the qualifications and experience, including a lot of people offering to work for free to get experience, so if some have perceived you to be blagging it I hope you can understand how they feel and how annoyed they get.

Now Iam prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt, and put it down to naivety, overenthusiasm and your age.

On another thread on here, there is a discussion of a dubious website scaremongering and the like, and the more honest and experienced posters on here take a dim view of this, as it tars us all with the same brush, I hope you can see it from our side.

Don't beat yourself up mate, some of this ribbing will bode well for your future endeavours! However, you have come across a little naive and that you'll need to address! People on here will honestly help but they won't help when you come across as Flash Harry. Try not to let it get you down and a lesson learned is one you should not need to learn again! Good luck :)

About the op, we had an idea what it was my gfs sisters bf came home and asked if any ideas we went through everything on here before i posted and just posted to see if theres owt we missed.. Which we hadnt =) i wouldnt take on any job i couldnt handle, i would sub out! Im 22 and trying at least im doing something rather than the other 1,000,000 18-23 year olds who are just on the dole sat about claiming benefits, houses and having children to get more money... Im trying hard, learning alot thanks to this site and hopefully can be successful all this slating is just getting me down making me think maybe i cnt do this mayve i cnt run my own and shud stay on dole untill i gt a job... Which in this climate would be forever...

Im trying hard.. And sorry if i upset or offend anyone on the way i just appreciafe the help people are giving me

I think spark 68 summed it all up nicely. We will help fellow electricians who need support and DIY'ers who want advice, but we get sick to the back teeth of people who come on here thinking they have re-invented the wheel. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours, just keep them realistic. :)

I will finish with the words of a sign that hung in the workshop when I was in industry...

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do".

When I worked in Paris, our contracts manager had cards made up with "European Operations Director" written below his name.

Yes he was a complete berk!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I worked in Paris, our contracts manager had cards made up with "European Operations Director" written below his name.

Yes he was a complete berk!

Yeah it's a long way from Agents , GF's , Gangers and Gaffers. To many heads up backsides these days.

That just doesn't make any sense to this thread....

Guitarist - I know its a bit late but I was answering or putting into context with the OP

None of my business, but did you get the reference (used on your website) in writing from the customer? Daz

Unicorn Electrical are an Electrical Contracting company in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire and Woking, Surrey. We offer a nationwide service to all our clients in various business areas, construction and domestic properties.

We are dedicated to keeping our clients our number one priority, our service will be tailor made to suit your expectations and you wont be disappointed by the dedication and reliability that we offer.

Our dedication to customer satisfaction will be noticed and is what sets us apart from other contractors nationwide along with cleanliness and quality of our work.

See above for some basic alterations. Also,, elsewhere, please note spelling of RECOMMEND.

You may want to look at some other professionally constructed contractor's websites for ideas about wording and site structure. Your website does nothing to recommend you unfortunately due to gimmicky offers and generally cheap look with spelling and grammatical errors.

This advice is free and meant in the best of spirit. If i really didn't care, I wouldn't have wasted my time writing this.

We are currently offering a FREE visual inspection of your home electrics (Usually £39.99) with no obligation advice as to whether any work or further investigation is required. With any work carried out, we will explain which work we suggest is URGENT but nothing is set in stone, if you dont want to take out the work we will not push you to, it is 100% your decision. QUOTE: UEINSPECTION

A bit more for you.

Not being picky but your site has a "reference" from a customer this month and you're "not taking on jobs or anything yet"............ and its notifiable work "taking power to my garage"

Hum

Did the OP reply to this comment by Murdoch? Daz

That was work i did for a customer for the old company i worked for, he added that on my site without me knowing (Hes a mate) - Anyone can posts comments on it

That was work i did for a customer for the old company i worked for, he added that on my site without me knowing (Hes a mate) - Anyone can posts comments on it

And any minute now you are likely to get posts on your websitre from contributors here.

Open to the public - really?

And he didn't contact Unicorn either did he...

Interesting that your mate spells the word 'Recommend' in exactly the same way that you do. Daz

Having read through this thread I wish the fraudulant use of the NIC logo had been reported to the NIC rather than the OP being made aware,so that the NIC could prosecute or deal with it however they see fit.....in future instances can this be the case before we jump in.

Having read through this thread I wish the fraudulant use of the NIC logo had been reported to the NIC rather than the OP being made aware,so that the NIC could prosecute or deal with it however they see fit.....in future instances can this be the case before we jump in.

How did he gain access to the Arms?

Whilst I am going to refrain from posting my opinion in this thread on this occasion I believe you both have added very valid comments.

After going through this thread from start to finish I have noticed that there has been no Moderator input so I have decided to report one of the above posts;) so that this thread is brought to the attention of the first Moderator that logs on. Hopefully by doing so this will give us a heads up on how to deal with similar threads in the future:thumbsup

All we seem to be missing is a raining night, lighting bolts everywhere, a castle on a hill being surrounded by villagers with pitchforks and flaming torches shouting the creature must die ............................sorry too many Boris Karloff films as a kid

All we seem to be missing is a raining night, lighting bolts everywhere, a castle on a hill being surrounded by villagers with pitchforks and flaming torches shouting the creature must die ............................sorry too many Boris Karloff films as a kid

It may seem like an overreaction, but when you've spent several hundred notes, plus jumped through a shed-loads of hoops to get your "part P" registration, it is downright frustrating when you see people using the logos without being a member.
Fortunately, the OP didn't realise he shouldn't use it before even applying to join, and he has removed it from his site. I hope this has been a good lesson for him in taking care, especially considering the number and complexity of many of the services he is offering (once he starts trading, of course). :)

I'm unsure as to what it is you want us to do?

We simply dont have the time to verify all the credentials of every member that requests access. I simply check the details they give re: phone numbers & website etc, and if its valid, as far as I'm concerned they are an electrician so access is granted.

To check the scheme affiliations and qualies of every member requesting access just isn't feasible, we'd end up with huge backlogs and would end up getting complaints over that too! You need to remember we have full time jobs, and we can only give up our time as and when we have it to give.

Having said that, I think I understand where you're all coming from and will open a discussion in the mods forum.

Cheers.

I'm unsure as to what it is you want us to do?

We simply dont have the time to verify all the credentials of every member that requests access. I simply check the details they give re: phone numbers & website etc, and if its valid, as far as I'm concerned they are an electrician so access is granted.

To check the scheme affiliations and qualies of every member requesting access just isn't feasible, we'd end up with huge backlogs and would end up getting complaints over that too! You need to remember we have full time jobs, and we can only give up our time as and when we have it to give.

Having said that, I think I understand where you're all coming from and will open a discussion in the mods forum.

Cheers.

It maybe me but there seem to be an increasing number of "chancers" on here who get shirty plus some very questionable DIYer's who also get shirty when they don't get answers for nothing.

I guess the forum is between the devil and the deep blue sea, but something needs to be done to reduce the amount of "tension" in some of the threads on here.

Maybe the answer is for the a thread to be reported to the mods, and if the mods agree then only they, or the OP can update the thread. This would curtail some of the page on page thread where the OP has vanished...

Over to you good people.

Not knocking you and the others Lenny. I’ve been in the same situation as an administrator.

Maybe a sponsor system where members of the alms nominate new members.

Theres a mods forum !!?? didnt know that lol.
Would love a look through that , bet its full of bitching :-D

One on every forum for Moderators to discuss the running and Policing of it.

I used to be a SuperModerator on a forum where we had a Moderators Forum AND a separate Super Mods forum too lol You could say that there are some interesting topics discussed on occasions (speaking from my own experience only and totally unrelated from this forum so may be totally different ;))

Ha ha
That made me chuckle
My old boss started out on his own at 21 (he was the same age as me) and he had exactly that written on his business card from the get go. It was a ltd company but just him at first with me and another guy as subbies later on. He had bankrupted his company by 23 (even though he took on about £150k of work the year he went under) and now works for a firm on a 25k salary.

Not read all of this thread but I got no prob with someone starting a business at a young age. I know two other guys who started electrical firms at 21 and have been very successful. I started doing all my own work (as opposed to subbying) aged 23.
The fastest way to learn something is when you are on your own in my opinion.

I know you guys all wanna lynch this dude, but personally, given the amount of young unemployed in the UK at the mo, I find it rather refreshing to see a young entrepenuer with a bit of get go. If the guy was 32 and had started his apprenticeship at 26 as opposed to 16 I cant imagine you'd all be giving him the same amount of stick.

Finally read through the post and think that a great many people prepare a website fully in preparation for when they want to go live. I know its wrong but I would suggest people preparing stationary if they were preparing funds for NIC assessment would go ahead with putting logo's on it. I agree with the last thread. There are too many on here getting too high and mighty he has reacted to the comments and good luck. There are so many people who come on here and moan about part P and JIB gradings is it any wonder that people would play these tricks. Everytime people moan about these issues they are effectively encouraging people to circumvent the systems.

Reply to Problem on job with bungalow in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net