Discuss A few Australia Question's.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

byrnie_2004

Hi I'm seriously considering migrating to Australia, I was wondering what's involved in obtaining the A License?
Also most job sites say I cant apply before I have the right to work there, so do I need to actually have the Visa first?
I have passed application for skilled working visa (points system). I'm 22 years old currently self-employed(Elecsa registered contractor), I have level 3 2330, NVQ3, AM2, 2391 - do any of these qualifications mean anything in Australia? Can they be transferred?
What's the best way to get Sponsored by a company?
I'm looking to be employed over there, not self employed (for now at least). Looking at moving to Perth area after much reading around based upon climate, there seems to be plenty of jobs etc.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Dan.

Having wasted 5 years and lots of dosh, mine wasn't a great exeperience, I found that all of my qualifications were useless, went through all the skills trade exams that was asked of me in the UK. Which would seem to assist me in getting my A licence and after moving to Perth, only to find that the best I could hope for is to gain my A licence was to work as an apprentice for 12 months then I could look at getting my work signed off.

This was a bitter pill to swallow, but then to find a job was found to be very diffucult. There is an element of who you know and if by a miracle you could pick up a sponsorship, would certainly recommend Perth fantastic place, but I just didn't get the break.

So what qualifications did you end up taking to Aussie, for them to find useless?? Wouldn't you have found that information out at Australia House, before you embarked, on those C&G trade skill courses??

I don't know if it's different these days, but back in the late 80's i was quite surprised to find out that Aussie engineering BS degree's weren't upto international standards, unless gained at one particular university, though i can't remember which one it was.

Yer i'm hoping to try and get into maintenance on one of the mining sites or something along those lines, for that I've heard Perth is the place to be.
I hope its not the case with the A licence(12 month apprenticeship) but if it is, hey i'm only 22 so I've got the time.
I'm also going to the Australian Expo at Manchester Central on the 19th of Nov just to get a bit more information and meet some employers etc.
Looking at going next May, my Elecsa Part-p/Van insurance/tax etc all run out that month, so rather than renew it all and struggle along over here in rainy England for another year I guessed hey why not give life in Oz a try.
O and Dodge what did you do? did you get a job in the end?

I passed all the vetasses exams that were asked of me, which ended up giving me false hope. Thinking I could go over there and apply my trade. As you said you are young and you may as well give it a go nothing to lose and it is a fantastic place. But it just didn't work out for me. I think if you can get the right job, you could probably get your A licence quicker than 12 months, if you get a boss who is happy to sign of your work. Then the relevant licence company to the state will issue what you need. There must be few people on here who can point you in the right direction 4 years since I came back. Fond memory's even the times when I couldn't get a job and I was very willing to give anything ago. Good luck hope it works out. I ended up working as a maintainence engineer at a hotel. Wasn't really what I wanted

Ahh at least you've been there and done it pal, it didn't work out but hey it was an experience that you'll remember. Thanks for the sound advice, much appreciated. :)

Cheers for the info Nick, went to the Opportunities Expo this weekend in Manchester - I now know what I need to do to get licenced over there, was well worth it. Thanks again,

Dan.

Sorry to drag an old thread up but ive been through this myself last year and it isnt as bad as most make out and in my experience it didnt require 12 months of working as an apprentice,I went to South Australia last feb to work on a new shopping centre on a 6 month contract,

I was took over from the uk and told I would be working as an electrician, when I got there I had to get my white card to work on sites, After the one day course I was took to the site to working as an electrician but really I was only a TA. (trades assistant) I was unaware of this and so were the other uk sparks also took over, so we continued with our normal electrical duties, We were then one day all took to the office were the owner of the company had came up to see us, he then continued to tell us that someone in the company (later turned out to be a jealous Aussie) had reported us to safe work SA for doing work we should not have been doing as we were only TA's.

We then had to apply for an ATRC (Australian Trade Recognised Certificate) which involved a good bit of work at home regarding evidence and qualifications and $270 I think it was it took some time for this to come back. My advise for any electrician from the uk going over would be gather as much evidence as possible throughout your whole career and download the form from there website www.deewr.gov.au/TRA and complete it but I read somewhere that you need to now have an address in Australia to get the certificate sent,

Once you get the certificate that allows you to work as a restricted electrician.when you get this you can then go to tafe and do there exam which is about 3 days long and if you pass then you are a fully fledged electrician, the exam is apparently similar to the 17th edition, thats how my then boss described it anyway .

Stevie

Hey mate.

I have ben considering it for a while and looked into it about a year ago in regards to licences in different states etc.

What I found out was this;
To emigrate under a skilled independant visa, you need to sit an assesment day with a company called VETASSES , this will cost you money to do,
Its an assesment day which consists of practical and theory and on successful completion youll be given an ARTC (Australian Recognised Trade Certificate)
This basically means youve succesfully proven your an electrician. ( you cant apply as the lead applicant without proving your what you say to them)

You then submit this ARTC with your visa application.

once you successfuly get to oz depending what state you choose to live in means a very different route to your A Licence,
Each state has its own rules.
WA is by far the easiest , if you lived in perth for example , you take the ARTC and show this to a TAFE college and then sit (from memory) a 2 week course, with practical and theory tests (meant to be easy)
The TAFE college then give you a cert and its this cert you send to the dept of energy.
Once youve also paid the licencing fee you get your A Licence within a short time in the mail.
You need to pay for the TAFE course BTW, when I checked it was nearly 800 AUS$

Thats WA, NSW or Queensland for example its different , you need to get jobs signed off over a year, like an NVQ for example and attend night class and need so many hours on the job.
While your training your money wont be full rate with a firm as your technically an unlicenced electrician.

I am about to undergo the same process when I get back from this project,
I would like to go to Perth as I like it and licencing is easy, but the GF will be graduating as a masters in Law and will be aiming to fast track to the BAR exam when we get to oz and the easiest place for this is NSW, so we will prob end up in Sydney, which means it will be a pain for me to relicence, but then again if she cracks the Bar and then practices, I may just down screwdrivers and take up fishing :)
Who knows

Hope this helps you and realy good luck with it mate

Sorry to drag an old thread up but ive been through this myself last year and it isnt as bad as most make out and in my experience it didnt require 12 months of working as an apprentice,I went to South Australia last feb to work on a new shopping centre on a 6 month contract,

I was took over from the uk and told I would be working as an electrician, when I got there I had to get my white card to work on sites, After the one day course I was took to the site to working as an electrician but really I was only a TA. (trades assistant) I was unaware of this and so were the other uk sparks also took over, so we continued with our normal electrical duties, We were then one day all took to the office were the owner of the company had came up to see us, he then continued to tell us that someone in the company (later turned out to be a jealous Aussie) had reported us to safe work SA for doing work we should not have been doing as we were only TA's.

We then had to apply for an ATRC (Australian Trade Recognised Certificate) which involved a good bit of work at home regarding evidence and qualifications and $270 I think it was it took some time for this to come back. My advise for any electrician from the uk going over would be gather as much evidence as possible throughout your whole career and download the form from there website www.deewr.gov.au/TRA and complete it but I read somewhere that you need to now have an address in Australia to get the certificate sent,

Once you get the certificate that allows you to work as a restricted electrician.when you get this you can then go to tafe and do there exam which is about 3 days long and if you pass then you are a fully fledged electrician, the exam is apparently similar to the 17th edition, thats how my then boss described it anyway .

Stevie

ive applied for my trade recognition through SKILL SHORTAGE SOLUTIONS , basically i paid them 440e to look after my paperwork and guarantee i get it first time around, also as they are based in ireland and perth i can apply from over here instead of needing to be in austrailia for 12 weeks, the tra once granted will go to their office so when i arrive in oz i can sit my electrical exam within a month at a cost of 1500 dollars.

440e is alot of money in these times but the guy im dealing with rang me staight way to get the ball rolling on my application including listing out all types of work ive carried out and materials used, also need reference from previous employer backing this up, copys of exams,passport,birthcert which must be certified as a true copy of the original by a solictor, visa grant letter and a 300 dollar cheque to austrailian government.

So whats the latest guys ? Looking to head over in November. They seminar expo things worthwhile ? What did you find out bout transferin your qualifications over.

Australia is BOOOMING! They are screaming for tradesmen atm. Im from Melbourne originally and im wanting to head back. My relatives tell me that they are advertising heavily for people to work in the mines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This also means that our cities will be empty with electricians..

Get in guys!

Is there much difference in how they do things over in aus? like are the regulations completely different in terms of special locations, bonding or what not?

i hear that they dont like ring mains all that much over there? Is that true?
im heading over there as soon as i can. I would like to be prepared for when i get assessed.
such a long road ahead though...

Is there much difference in how they do things over in aus? like are the regulations completely different in terms of special locations, bonding or what not?

i hear that they dont like ring mains all that much over there? Is that true?
im heading over there as soon as i can. I would like to be prepared for when i get assessed.
such a long road ahead though...

It is all radial mate. Put it like this, you can have a double socket next to your sink in your bathroom, that is not 3 metres away, but a few inches... Regs are not as tight in my opinion as what you get here.... Most have never heard of a RFC, they just look at you stunned...:)

Their testing consists of plugging in anything handy and if it works, it will do lol....

The only good thing is the system is similar 240/50hz

Regards

Reply to A few Australia Question's.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net