Discuss A few questions on laying underground cable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

19 Core 2.5mm LSZH SWA Cable| MeteorElectrical.com

As a guide these are saying the Nominal overall diameter is 26.6mm

So based on 26.6mm diameter for the cable would you say the 60mm diameter conduit is ok, or would you go bigger?

Also the 3 core 2.5mm is 13.8mm outer diameter.. Just want to get an idea of what size conduit would be used (this would be a 30m run with the bends as stated in the OP)?

If there's more than two bends in the run you're unlikely to be able to pull the cable through a duct for any distance. We just use LDPE irrigation pipe for cable duct, it's as good as anything else, it comes in long lengths and it's readily available. A 60mm pipe should be fine for a single 25mm cable. I wouldn't run ducts usually if the route can be reopened afterwards ie it's not part of the civils before paving or roadway is laid, it's unnecessary work and expense.

Dave is correct,regarding pulling methods,although on short pulls,such as described,a sleeved icicle hitch would be fine. Some lads have done this for years,with nothing more technical than exposing 12" of armouring,and folding it back,to form a loop,this is then whipped secure,and tied to the reeving cord. Not ideal,but that's what they do...

In relation to pulling a draw cord through,at the same time,beware ANY turning of the cable being installed,will put a "wrap" around it,and future pulls will be problematic,to say the least.

This had occurred on a job i was called to,where a set of lads had started to pull a second cable through a duct,using a politely left,draw rope,and the new cable got a boa grip on the original...It would not retreat,and their subsequent hauling attempts,caused the original cable to be pulled,also,thus proof loading its' glanding,and moving it to twenty five to...all still live too :dizzy2:

Dave is correct,regarding pulling methods,although on short pulls,such as described,a sleeved icicle hitch would be fine. Some lads have done this for years,with nothing more technical than exposing 12" of armouring,and folding it back,to form a loop,this is then whipped secure,and tied to the reeving cord. Not ideal,but that's what they do...

In relation to pulling a draw cord through,at the same time,beware ANY turning of the cable being installed,will put a "wrap" around it,and future pulls will be problematic,to say the least.

This had occurred on a job i was called to,where a set of lads had started to pull a second cable through a duct,using a politely left,draw rope,and the new cable got a boa grip on the original...It would not retreat,and their subsequent hauling attempts,caused the original cable to be pulled,also,thus proof loading its' glanding,and moving it to twenty five to...all still live too :dizzy2:
your better off using a draw wire once and using a cobra to feed a new one in after if there is enough room

Reply to A few questions on laying underground cable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net