Discuss a night to remember in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi all
just thought i'd share my story of what happened the night before last.

working at a large office complex in Mold, Flintshire on nights doing an EICR. about 8.30pm the security get on the radio to evacuate the building after they smelt a very strong smell of something like nail varnish remover throughout 4 floors of one of the buildings.
2 fire engines turned up in BA and an ambulance too.
i had to stand in the rain for 2 hours while they searched for the smell. eventually nothing was found and i went back in to carry on.

next day my boss had been in to investigate no power to a socket and found a 20m extension reel almost fully wound with 3 heaters and a kettle fed off it. the reel had melted causing the funny smell.

i thought overloading caused a fishy smell, not a nail varnish/acetone smell.

and the extension lead was connected by a " skilled or instructed person". who instructed him, a monkey?

ive encountered the same prob in the past, sparkys know that an extension lead on a reel must be fully uncoiled if anything that uses a lot of current is used
other trades don,t
even if the lead is not on a reel but coiled up it still gets really hot and smokes/melts together- if any thing that draws a lot of amps is used ,especially on 110v

Reply to a night to remember in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Got an emergency call out from a very worried old lady the other night - the power at her apartment had gone off and the kitchen light was...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Everyone. A quick question. I am currently selling my house and I am just waiting on exchanging with a potential buyer who had all the...
Replies
Views
F
Hi People, I was at a friends house on Saturday as he has just bought the property about a month ago. Anyway I was there to clear out the loft...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock