Discuss A question for domestic installers who are with Stroma...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The professional bodies in the UK allocate a threshold of CPD points that a member must reach each year to maintain membership, these points are accumulated by different means recognised by the professional body, for instance they may consider being on this Forum for six hours a year could be allocated two points towards your CPD total, it is up to the said body to assess and award points to different activities normally associated with the activities of its membership.

for instance they may consider being on this Forum for six hours a year could be allocated two points towards your CPD total,
Blimey, the majority of us have the required CPD total for the rest of our lives by now then! ?

The professional bodies in the UK allocate a threshold of CPD points that a member must reach each year to maintain membership, these points are accumulated by different means recognised by the professional body, for instance they may consider being on this Forum for six hours a year could be allocated two points towards your CPD total, it is up to the said body to assess and award points to different activities normally associated with the activities of its membership.
I think your getting confused CPD has nothing to do with past core qualifications.

Example heart surgeon been qualified say 38 years, doing day in and out heart surgery, the NHS are not going to take him off the table/ or say you need to be mentored, just because of some new legislation etc.

My point is, you are doing/have been doing the same task for years, experience is key and cant be taken away.

I did not say that CPC has anything to do with past qualifications, its to do with maintaining standards by using up to date knowledge, to use your analogy would you let a heart surgeon use a 38 year old procedure or anaesthetic, of course not, the surgeon has to keep up with modern medicine and can only do this by continuing the development of their skills and knowledge, hence CPD irrespective of when they acquired their qualification.

I think your getting confused CPD has nothing to do with past core qualifications.

Example heart surgeon been qualified say 38 years, doing day in and out heart surgery, the NHS are not going to take him off the table/ or say you need to be mentored, just because of some new legislation etc.

My point is, you are doing/have been doing the same task for years, experience is key and cant be taken away.
I have had a quick look and it seems surgeons need to be reacredited, and one of the requirements is CPD points. Let's face it with constant new developments in surgical techniques it would be foolish not to engage in CPD.
It seems doctors need revalidation every 5 years.

Last edited:
I have had a quick look and it seems surgeons need to be reacredited, and one of the requirements is CPD points. Let's face it with constant new developments in surgical techniques it would be foolish not to engage in CPD.
Understand what you saying about new techniques, and yes everybody is consistently learning every day new skills etc, thats life.

Understand what you saying about new techniques, and yes everybody is consistently learning every day new skills etc, thats life.
But it does seem that if a doctor/surgeon does not prove a commitment to continuous medical education then they could be struck off despite having 38 years in the game, although I have no idea how onerous those requirements are.

Last edited:
I agree that it's a good idea to keep up to date with trends and obviously new regulations. But I find myself wondering, who appointed the NICEIC and other trade bodies the position of monitoring CPD for their members?
I don't recall reading anything in the terms and conditions.

Reply to A question for domestic installers who are with Stroma...... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net