Discuss Accesory protectors from plasterer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking there are some temporary boxes about that fit round accessory fronts to protect from plasterer or is it a case of taping a plastic bag round them? Just got a feeling that the plasterer is going to plaster accessories into wall as had this problem a few times.

Thanks in advance

yep . yey called yoozy boxes, google it.

Measure from corner of wall to box horizontally then from ceiling vertically, and note the measurement,when you find boxes have been buried completely re measure minus 6 inches then start hacking making as much mess as possible.plasterer has to make good plus gets a right rollocking off customer,works every time.When I was on the tools years ago the plasterer kept plating over our boxes on a new site,i made it known that next time it happened the wall was coming down went back a week later to second fix and he'd been at it again I'd taken out 3 stud walls in different houses before the site agent turned up funnily enough I never saw the plasterer again.Me and my sledgehammer were definately a force to be reckoned with lol

Shouldn't the boxes be plastered in before you second fix the socket? These boxes may protect your box and cable (although I still don't like the idea of slopping wet plaster around live accessories anyway), but your socket front plate is going to end up a mess!

I do like the idea of the lids with spikes on to help the plasterboarders cut out the hole accurately. Not that I care about making their job easier, but it is a pain in the rear for me when their cut-outs are so big your socket has nothing to sit on. Talking of which, on here Yoozybox - Lids doesn't the lid with spikes look accessory front sized, rather than the smaller 72mm back box size?

Up here most plasterboard is Ames taped rather than plastered.
still get the relatively new concept of covering all your wires up and not bringing them through.in the old days before dry lining boxes were common it was all steel boxes on dwangs so they were usually cut out.now it's too much effort for them to bring them out at all.
my old foreman showed me what to do years ago
on a job the main contractor brought in squads to dry line the entire ground floor of a school science block over a weekend.we roll up on Monday with barely a wire in.
get that shovel out the van son.
hand him the shovel and he attacks the walls like a man possessed
agent asks him wtf? Big barney and tells him to get the sheets off or the all come off in a shovel style up to you. Still works to this day.
or turn the power off ask him if he has his night vision goggles with him so he can plaster in the dark cos it can stay off all day if you don't play the game.
did this a couple of weeks ago and got a result.

Shouldn't the boxes be plastered in before you second fix the socket? These boxes may protect your box and cable (although I still don't like the idea of slopping wet plaster around live accessories anyway), but your socket front plate is going to end up a mess!

I've had to renew legs on ring because sockets were being relocated due to demolition and weren't long enough for new positions. It is being lived in so I had to refit socket fronts and make live again and once it's been plastered I will be fitting new fronts.

I wasn't meaning you personally :) Presumably you will be turning the circuit off when the plasterers are doing their work.

i'd be inclined to connect the L to the back boxes just before the muck spreaders start. :reddevil:

What happens when amateurs put sockets on then plaster round them. What a mess!!

DSC04864.jpg

DSC04868.jpg

DSC04869.jpg

just wago connect the live ends, tape up and leave in back box until the plasterer has done.

plasterers prefer a blank wall so they can get a clean finish and not have to mess around trying to plaster round socket fronts

Up here most plasterboard is Ames taped rather than plastered.
still get the relatively new concept of covering all your wires up and not bringing them through.in the old days before dry lining boxes were common it was all steel boxes on dwangs so they were usually cut out.now it's too much effort for them to bring them out at all.
my old foreman showed me what to do years ago
on a job the main contractor brought in squads to dry line the entire ground floor of a school science block over a weekend.we roll up on Monday with barely a wire in.
get that shovel out the van son.
hand him the shovel and he attacks the walls like a man possessed
agent asks him wtf? Big barney and tells him to get the sheets off or the all come off in a shovel style up to you. Still works to this day.
or turn the power off ask him if he has his night vision goggles with him so he can plaster in the dark cos it can stay off all day if you don't play the game.
did this a couple of weeks ago and got a result.

Many of the southern softies won't be familiar with tape and fill or the notion of dwangs :)

Reply to Accesory protectors from plasterer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net