Discuss Accused of wiping memory on a printer in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Megafix

Hi I have done a pat test for a company and now they are accusing me of wiping the memory on one of their printers.
I use a fluke 6500, have been for the past 2.5 years and never had this problem. The test was using the 200mA setting auto 232.
The printer was a HP dont know the model, but they had a identical one in another office which had not been affected.
Has anybody else had problems with IT equipment and flukes.
Will get more details about printer when I can. Any comments appreciated

Could be something simple like the printer has an internal battery to hold the memory when the power is lost and this is defective.

Or a Joe soap has cocked up and looking for someone to carry the can. From now on tell them that they are responsible for backing up any data held electronically - do it in writing. "was ok before he/she came"

I'm with ruston.
How come the other machine has'nt lost its memory?
Also I believe that all modern commercial printers have a hard drive memory just like a pc, so if it was that important why was'nt it backed up.

I'm with ruston.
How come the other machine has'nt lost its memory?
Also I believe that all modern commercial printers have a hard drive memory just like a pc, so if it was that important why was'nt it backed up.

It's an easy way to get new gear is'nt it. Like the new light you fitted, the one next to it is out -but it was ok "before you came"

printers dont have moving memory drives, the only software that runs is firmware that handles data transfer and the operation of the printer itself, some have quite large buffers using chip based memory ( 32GB, 64GB etc) for printing in progress (like large format A0 size poster printers- the big giant ones) the internal software (firmware) is stored in a non-volatile type memory (this means that it is locked in place, even if the power is cut off) and most are EEPROM (electronically erasable programmable read only memory) as opposed to ROM (Read only memory-which is a type that is loaded up in the factory and stuck in there permanently).....the EEPROM type is over-writeable and can be copied over with new data (loaded up with new software) this is so that the firmware (internal operating software) can be changed and updated if the manufacturer brings out a new version (to fix up problems etc) I very much doubt that this has been wiped, even if it has it can be reloaded by re-installing the printer cd-rom/dvd disk on the PC...which will send it into the printer memory card...the prints in progress should have been finished by the customer or cancelled off, if they were lost due to the printer being switched off then they never set up the print spooling (storage of prints in progress) on their computer correctly......if the printer was a networked printer, then the network address may need reset, this is easily done from the printer menu to get it re-connected to the users computers by making it appear on the network again, you will probably find that there will be a huge pile of prints come out when this is done.....otherwise as mentioned, a previously broken item may have been wheeled out in a blame attempt.... all prints should be either still "inside" the sending computer or a "print server" which will resend them and they will print out......let me know the printer model (or just how big it was and what colour it was) and I will try to get you the re-set instructions....

Some new workgroup printers can have hard drives.

What does the customer say you've wiped? This fact is probably the best bit of info to get hold hold of if you are to answer the "alligation" in a useful and sensible manner

Reply to Accused of wiping memory on a printer in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net