Discuss Adding a light to loop at switch and change to 2 gang switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

thegoat46

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, I am wanting to add a couple of wall lights to a room that currently has a single ceiling rose. Attached are photos of the one gang switch and the ceiling rose. I wish to change the one gang switch for a two gang switch, so that one switch operates the current ceiling rose while the other switch will operate both wall lights. What is the best approach to wiring the new cable/lights? The only examples I can find are for a looped ceiling rose rather than at the switch. Many thank in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230304_142651.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230304_142718.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230304_142733.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 33
I also wondered if there would be any reason for the COM to only have one wire and L2 to have two wires?

It is just the way it was connected it doesn't really matter. Do you have the new two gang switch.

John Ward covers the topic here under 'multiple lights':
If you don't have a second light fitting controlled by this one switch, it seems the live feed is in L2, and goes off, together with an E and N, to another switch in another room? You really need a test instrument to check this first.

It is just the way it was connected it doesn't really matter. Do you have the new two gang switch.
That's great thank you.

I haven't purchased the two gang switch yet - I was going to purchase the same switch but the two gang version as I know it will fit perfectly with what is there currently, so I don't need to mess with the backbox etc.

John Ward covers the topic here under 'multiple lights':
If you don't have a second light fitting controlled by this one switch, it seems the live feed is in L2, and goes off, together with an E and N, to another switch in another room? You really need a test instrument to check this first.
Thanks for the link I'll have a read. There is currently only a single light in each room therefore I presumed the same as you in that the live feed goes to another switch for another room. I will check this.

I've mocked up the existing wiring and what I propose - please let me know if this looks correct? Many thanks.

Attachments

• existing.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 18
  • proposed.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 18
Yes that seems fine but you need some four way push fit connectors for the neutrals and earths.

Yes that seems fine but you need some four way push fit connectors for the neutrals and earths.
Agreed, but I think the (middle) photo shows the neutral Wago is a four way with an unused position. Hopefully the same is true for the earth one! if so, how unusually helpful Is that?

Agreed, but I think the (middle) photo shows the neutral Wago is a four way with an unused position. Hopefully the same is true for the earth one! if so, how unusually helpful Is that?
I thought this but it is an optical illusion, fairly certain they are nasty Ideal connectors which would be yellow if they were four way.

Thanks for everyone's help, really appreciate it. Just had a look and both connectors are Wago with 4 slots, so that's lucky! On my proposed diagram the first light will be the original ceiling rose, and the second light cable needs to supply two wall lights. Am I okay to use a three terminal junction box in order to split this single cable into two in order to supply the two wall lights? Or would this not be appropriate?

Here is a diagram to illustrate my thoughts... Many thanks.

Attachments

• proposed_2.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 10
Yes it is fine. If the junction box is going to be rendered inaccessible then the connections need to be maintenance free.

Reply to Adding a light to loop at switch and change to 2 gang switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net