Discuss Adding power source to outdoor basement flat shed in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a dark dingy old Victorian coal storage area in the basement, just below street level, accessed via a gate and stairs to the basement flat. The sheds used to store coal but then became a bin storage area but the council won’t collect bins from down there anymore, so it’s just been lying empty. I want to install a high security steel bike locker with ground anchor and a charging point for my e-bike and a light and a cctv cam and alarm maybe.

Is it possible to add a power source linked to my 2nd floor flat supply?

Attachments

• 73FBE563-CF67-48CA-B5B1-B9A9FDAB4048.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 20
You would have to check with your landlord or property owner if it’s possible.
There may be an internal route from your flat down there, but more likely, the cable would have to come outside.. be clipped down the external wall and re-enter the building at the lower level.
Some councils don’t like cable on show on front of buildings.

You might be able to come to an agreement with the building owner by taking power from any communal supply (stair lights etc) that might be closer to the basement store.

Definitely speak to your landlord before starting any of this work. They need to confirm they are happy for it to be done.

You would have to check with your landlord or property owner if it’s possible.
There may be an internal route from your flat down there, but more likely, the cable would have to come outside.. be clipped down the external wall and re-enter the building at the lower level.
Some councils don’t like cable on show on front of buildings.

You might be able to come to an agreement with the building owner by taking power from any communal supply (stair lights etc) that might be closer to the basement store.
Thanks. I will ask for permission and I doubt they’d object as there’s telecoms cables on the outside. Does this sound like an expensive job ie 1-2 hrs /half a day or a day rate job?

It's very difficult if not impossible to estimate the time that a job will take without actually surveying it, but in this case my guess would be a full day.

For those of us outside of London, every job is an expensive job.

From a 2nd floor, that’s extra time and cost working at height. Scaffold or work platform to hire in.

For a camera or alarm… you may be able to use a wireless solution rather than running more cables.

For those of us outside of London, every job is an expensive job.

From a 2nd floor, that’s extra time and cost working at height. Scaffold or work platform to hire in.

For a camera or alarm… you may be able to use a wireless solution rather than running more cables.
Oh wow. Thanks. I’ll mull it over. My son’s an apprentice electrician and he might know someone qualified that can help

Reply to Adding power source to outdoor basement flat shed in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock