Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Adding spur from kitchen to lounge on wall (not concealed) in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. AdamSt

AdamSt New EF Member

Hi all,

Moved the tv to the other side of the room though we havent got an outlet on that side. There is a little storage room behind it which shares a wall with the kitchen which conveniently has a socket on the same wall on the other side (no water or gas on that side of the kitchen, 2m clearance to water).
    Essentially want to create a spur (bottom floor shares the same fuse, RCDed) from there (drill through wall) to the lounge by running the cable along the storage room wall using a plastic conduit and feeding into the lounge (as no one is ever in the storage room dont mind it being visible and concealing the cable would require laying across several studs)

1) as im adding a spur to an existing circuit do i need a to inform bco? (still trainee, not certified yet)
    2) is it ok to feed cable through wall into plastic trunking? Thought perhaps better to have a termination point on the other side of the wall where the cable comes out - are there regulations around this?
    3) as the cable isnt concealed (fixed onto the wall) can i run the conduit just above the skirting board?
    4) cheers in advance - appreciate your time and thought

Kind regards,
    Adam

2. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

If you are using twin and earth why not just clip it around the store just above the skirting

• Like Like x 1
  3. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    1)Not notifiable
    2)Yes, no specific regulations, don't position the cable where it may get damaged.
    3)Yes
    4)No problem

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    nail head.
    n

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wickerman

Wickerman Trainee Access

Adam's kitchen and his lounge are on the same circuit. All OK.

If the kitchen and lounge were on separate circuits, would this solution still be compliant? And even if compliant, would it be bad practice?

6. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    if you had 1 socketin the lounge on a different circuit to the rest in the room ( i.e. as you say, on the kitchen circuit ), a note in or by the CU explaining this would suffice to comply with safety.

• Like Like x 2
  7. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

I added a socket in my kitchen to allow the missus to plug the vacuum cleaner in without having to trail the flex over the worktops. It is in a stud wall, and I took it from the living room sockets as it was far, far easier (socket already there on other side of wall). Added sticker on CU to remind folk in the future (myself included) and noted it on cert. Job done!

8. telectrix

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    hmmm. i can better that for laziness. bought her a cordless vac. :eek:

• Like Like x 3
  9. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Haha well she was whinging about the flex rubbing on the edge of the worktops so for a quiet life I just did as she asked. As per usual. She wants a dangly light fitting hanging down above the dining table now. It never ends, really.

10. Wilko

Wilko Gorillas are Great Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Wilko Electrics
    Happy Wife, Happy Life :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

You would think so, wouldn't you

12. kingeri

kingeri Trusted Advisor

Yeah it's a nice theory.