Discuss Additional socket to exhisting circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkticus

Hi, few pointers before I start. New CU or circuit is not an option.
Been asked to provide an average cost for an additional socket in a restaurant kitchen. There are going to be a lot of kitchens so the client just wants a figure to work with.
Not knowing the age of the installations in each building I'm planning for the worst case scenario.
I advised that RCD protection will be needed and was told to 'assume' that each CU can fit an RCD if needed??.. My suggestions are (after testing the circuit)
1. RCBO at the board if poss.
2. If not, 1 way RCD Shower unit just for the kitchen circuit.
Was told just to spur off the closest socket in each kitchen but don't feel happy with that. I know there are 13a RCD switched Spurs out there that would protect the additional socket but don't want to offer this option.
Lastly, should I mention no RCD Protection as per Regs 411.3.3 (a) & ONS 3.6.2.1 (b)
Any advice/options would be great.
Cheers.

You will want to add a load of caveats limitations and exclusions to your pricing, otherwise you will find that you are installing at a loss.

You have limited the choices so much that the only options left are your suggestions (and possibly simonslimlines in a few cases).
Not providing 30mA RCD protection is not rally viable and protection of the circuit is the preferred option. Many old boards are prohibitive expensive to install RCBOs or they are nto available so aim for the stand alone RCD but price for the obsolete RCBOs (with lack of guarantee).

Firstly what is the socket for? If it is for a specific item of equipment and labelled as such then a risk assessment may mean that RCD protection can be omitted in accordance with the current regulations. If it is for general use then surface wiring in conduit etc and RCD socket would be the sensible option.

The RCD socket could be an option but I won't be carrying out the works so I can't say how the cable that feeds the new socket will be installed. The stand alone RCD seems to be favourite here. How about the RCD switched spur option to feed any new sockets needed?

If you cannot guarantee being able to install RCD protection at the board, then I think you will have to price for surface wiring and RCD sockets.
I imagine you will also have to price for a collar or surface back box to raise whichever socket you spur from.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Additional socket to exhisting circuit. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net