Discuss Advice on becoming an electrician ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Will2813

Currently I am studying in sixth form. For several reasons, mainly that I am not enjoying my time here and I find the fact that an exam at the end of year determines how "good" I am at the subject. I don't have the aspiration to go to uni due to no particular interest that I can dedicate my self to, also the fact I would be in debt at the end of it all. I have been thinking of dropping sixth form as I have just completed my first year, and going onto a city and guilds 2365 Electrical instillation course. The college that offers this also offers things like the 17th edition wiring and other necessary side qualifications, they could also enrol me onto an apprenticeship which I would try to seek the best one I could. There is another course which is electro technology, what is the difference between the two?
My results at Gcse were quite good and my A level results are suspected to be okay too all but physics. I was wondering if this would be a good route into becoming an electrician and if so/not how would I go about being successful? What would be the best possible entry into this job. Is this the best trade to do and how is the overall feel of being an electrician? including the money side. Advice would be very much appreciated due to the college enrolment dates are quite soon, would an apprenticeship be better so I earning whilst learning?
Many thanks

Currently I am studying in sixth form. For several reasons, mainly that I am not enjoying my time here and I find the fact that an exam at the end of year determines how "good" I am at the subject. I don't have the aspiration to go to uni due to no particular interest that I can dedicate my self to, also the fact I would be in debt at the end of it all. I have been thinking of dropping sixth form as I have just completed my first year, and going onto a city and guilds 2365 Electrical instillation course. The college that offers this also offers things like the 17th edition wiring and other necessary side qualifications, they could also enrol me onto an apprenticeship which I would try to seek the best one I could. There is another course which is electro technology, what is the difference between the two?
My results at Gcse were quite good and my A level results are suspected to be okay too all but physics. I was wondering if this would be a good route into becoming an electrician and if so/not how would I go about being successful? What would be the best possible entry into this job. Is this the best trade to do and how is the overall feel of being an electrician? including the money side. Advice would be very much appreciated due to the college enrolment dates are quite soon, would an apprenticeship be better so I earning whilst learning?
Many thanks

DONT DROP OUT OF SIXTH FORM. you have one year left if you drop out now you just wasted a whole year!! i was in the exact same position as you what i did was the evening electrical installation 3 days a week monday, tuesday and wedensday which started at 6pm so a good 3 or 4 hours rest after a day at sixthform...i done btec business and finance,,, hatedddddddd it and was going to drop out after first year...

do an apprenticeship after sixthform best best way to becoming electrician.

get on the 2365 and go for the apprenticeship. sod uni. and 6th form.

Personally i see nothing set in stone that the whole of the country is going to pay you over the rate prices for doing the electricals.
with all trades there is UPs and downs, its learning other skills to go with it to keep on living.. Sounds like im talking about Dawine.

Take apprenticeship, your young and keen.

As for the job, i only passed GCSE Maths, im dyslexic , really bad at spelling and stuff like that, and i dont read text books that well. To me the Maths is very simple, the doing the Job, the Hands on Work is the skill, learning by doing it and keep on doing it. Granted its not much money at first but its a TRADE and Can Go places.

2357 is the normal C&G course for
apprenticeship
2365 is just the sort of Course work side of things and Class room.

There are other Education Bodies, well one other, EAL but C&G is the famous one and the Number system we seem to use.

Think we all Agreed on the
apprenticeship, just not if to drop out/stay in Sixth Form
Finish what you Started. Learn Electricals On the SIDE

Last edited by a moderator:
DONT DROP OUT OF SIXTH FORM. you have one year left if you drop out now you just wasted a whole year!! i was in the exact same position as you what i did was the evening electrical installation 3 days a week monday, tuesday and wedensday which started at 6pm so a good 3 or 4 hours rest after a day at sixthform...i done btec business and finance,,, hatedddddddd it and was going to drop out after first year...

do an apprenticeship after sixthform best best way to becoming electrician.

The thing is, I do biology, physics as sport. Tomorrow I collect my results. I can almost guarantee I've got a U in physics, with a C/B in biology and sport is a Btec but I have no interest. Even if I drop out I will have AS qualifications. How did you find the electrical course? Would doing it in college be better or would searching for an apprenticeship be better? I hate sixth form, I've had a lot of stress with it

New to this site so figuring how things work. Basically I'm studying Biology, Physics and sport. I am almost guaranteed to get a U in physics when I collect my results tomorrow and I can't bare taking up IT BTec and trying to complete a two year course in one year. In biology I'll get a C/B from my prediction, and sport I have no interest in pursuing. Sixth form has caused a lot of stress for me. I would rather be earning whilst learning whilst having a good career ahead. The evening option would cost which I don't really have the money to pay for at the moment, as well as the transport at night. How did you go about becoming an electrician if you don't mind explaining ? Is this a good trade? Also I wouldn't have wasted a year as I would have AS qualifications . Is this a risk worth taking ? And if I was dedicated would I certainly make it as an electrician? Wha training all together would I need?

Thanks for answering. If I was to get on a 2365 course at college for electrical installations, would I enrol on an apprenticeship along side this ? What other qualifications would I need overtime to become fully qualified and successful? When you say it can go places, is the pay of an electrician a struggle or is it a good wage in your opinion? How did you go about becoming a qualified electrician? Sorry for the continuous questioning, I'm working to find out as much as I can to help with what decision I make, any extra advice would be very useful

My advice would be that unless you can walk out the school door and straight into a job, stick it out for the next year. I know you're not enjoying your time, but that bit of paper at the end can mean a lot to future employers. 'I left school early for my trade' used to be nothing unusual, but times have changed.

If this is something you truly want to do and you could get an apprenticeship then I'd drop sixth straight away. I did a-levels and I wish I went straight in to this looking back, although the economic climate wasn't the best at the time. equally if your not sure if you want to do it then you may as well just get your a levels under your belt for back up. Any good tradesmen who takes pride in their work is worth the money in my opinion. There's usually a reason why someone's cheap. all the best

Reply to Advice on becoming an electrician ?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net