Discuss Advice on getting regular work with a builder/builders in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TotalElectrics

Hey there,

Just started up on my own after 12 years with a pretty big local electrical firm who I was with from school.

Just looking for some advice on how to approach builders for work. I know two builders but they have already got regular sparks they use so they might call me if they are busy but nothing set up with them.

This is probably going to be the case with most local builders. They will already have someone.

So how did you guys get a builder on the regular or just for one off jobs? Looking for tips on how to approach them without seeming pushy. Phone? Letter?

Thank you for all your advise. Very new to this and suddenly realising how hard the first few
months are going to be, money wise!!

Dan from Oswestry

Phone and letter not much good how many times have you sat down at home to relax and the phone went off, letters you are adding to the junk mail pile.

In person is best that way they get to know you you are not just a voice on the phone and they get to ask the questions they want answering. Also look in your local paper and council website for any planning permission applications send in specific quotes for the jobs not just a mailshot.

Local library and see if they know of any networking events and go to them last one I went to got me a conservatory man and a signage and awning man.

Good luck

Chris

Forgot to mention google "business link" and go on thier free course for business start up gets you on the right path for marketing etc, they also arrange networking events for those who have been on the course.

Chris

Thanks very much for the advice. I will try and find some builders to speak to in person. I guess the builders merchants would be a good place to start to meet them. I might try and leave some cards in the merchants too. Its hard work this getting work!!!

When you first start its uphill all the way but that is true of any business. Also true of any business do a good job at a fair price and your reputation will spread and thats when it becomes a level playing field. Been there done that wore the T shirt even grew the cotton that made the T shirt.

Im 9 months in with our own business and already we are getting a few calls from recommendations that no doubt will grow, if you are like me never stop networking with others that way you should always have work.

Good luck

Chris

Reply to Advice on getting regular work with a builder/builders in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net