Discuss Advice on the best EV chargers in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I am not a fan of the project EV chargers or Rolec.
Some of the units I have fitted in the past are so fiddly, especially when trying to wrangle a 6mm SWA into them.
I always fit Zappi chargers if the customer has the money but will fit others if asked.
Zappi have been excellent with me on both delivery, service and tech support!
I have also started doing repairs to already installed units. I did one on Wednesday actually, the tether cable had a fault on the control pilot cable and would only see an EV if the cable was twisted around until it contacted.
Really nice units to install and work on, so many built in options, easy to set up and use, really good app for the customer too!
Cannot fault them as an all round good company!
Sy

With most stores now selling them like scrudfix, customer now see the how much they can get them for, so no mark up on them.

I wouldn't worry to much about what customers can buy - give them a price, tell them what they can expect in exchange for their money (in terms of service, installation and goods) and let them take it or leave it. Customers who place price ahead of all else can go to sparks prepared to work for nothing - and who probably do the bare minimum.

I agree^^^
I will tell customers if they want to purchase the charger themselves that is fine. It's covered by the manufacturer warranty anyway so it matters not to me. If it goes wrong after installation then it is up to them to get it sorted out with the manufacturer.
I put in a very reasonable rate for my time + materials to connect up an EV charger so am not too fussed on extra profit on the unit itself!
Sy

My current favourite is the Simpson and Partners as the build quality and support are second to none
Being up the road from me in Kemble I can call in factory if needed on way past when having flying lessons.
The Andersen is still a good but expensive option.
Day to day the Zappi still allows the use of CT's for load management on shared submains etc so still has a market.
Starting to see more integrated systems know such as the Givenergy charger which links to the inverters/battery and can avoid battery drain etc

Welcome to the forum!

Do any manufacturers offer training on installing them?

I tell customers to make the choice and purchase their own. I do not sell enough to get a decent wholesale price so end up paying what they can pick them up for online. If I have to cover the warranty, buy it etc I need to put a mark up on it which is all just hassle. There are lots of choices and it is a personal taste what people want to pay money for. They are all basically the same on the charging functionality, a sub £400 will function the same as the pricier ones purely on the charging aspect so up to them if they want all singing all dancing bells an whistles that the sales blurb promotes.

Welcome to the forum!

Do any manufacturers offer training on installing them?
Podpoint do an online one, it is nonsense really. You need to do the college based course really to understand the pitfalls and process on the installs. One thing to remember is to go through the process of applying for permission to connect them to the supply for the ENA / DNO.

I have just completed the 'Wallbox' on line courses. Seems to me that you need to install extra equipment (a Power meter) in the consumer unit to make it all work. It seems a little complicated. I am doing the INDRA training webinar on Wednesday 28th Feb in the afternoon and I will be very interested to see how INDRA compare to 'Wall box'. Wallboxe's training videos do seem to be a bit complicated. My thoughts are that all of the 'technology / electronics needs to be incorporated within the EV charger so all you have to do is check 'main protective bonding' to gas and water, then ensure a type A RCD / RCBO is installed at the CU (if required) and then run your 'SWA' or 'EV ultra' and all of the equipment is in the EV charger. The point I am trying to make is with 'Wallbox' you need to install extra equipment upstream in or near to the CU. A bit complicated I think.

Reply to Advice on the best EV chargers in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net