Currently reading:
advice please

Discuss advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

i have had a inspection report for rewiring of my property thanks

Email the company that carried out the report and get them to respond with a satisfactory explanation. I go through every report that I issue with my customers so that full understanding is reached. I also offer every opportunity for further clarification. You should not expect any less.

the report states that my metal socket in my new fitted kitchen that i had fitted approx 13 years ago are not earthed note that he did not unscrew any of them to find out, so i asked who i have not have got a shock is this is the case? i unscrewed the sockets and switches last night and they are earthed and well connected. also was told that the underfloor wiring could not be checked, not sure as to why i would have under floor wiring.they also say that due to me having a fitted kitchen (done by qualified fitters and electricians) my home is in poor condition, this has really upset me as i would not pay out money for a fitted kitchen to neglect it. my whole house has to be rewired by a company that my local council has choosen, they are not council electricians,

have spoke to the company this morning, who are about a 3 second walk from my house, i asked them the questionsi needed answering and was told that they would get out my file and call me back in about 20 minutes, i still await the call, the company has been full of promises that have never happened since feb, so i have been noting all this down, it is i am in too minds as to think that this bloke that tested my electrics can actually be trusted in doing them, i mean i am no electrician but i do know that my metal plugs as they call them are earthed. i have also taken a photo of my finding of the earth wires inside the fittings.

Sounds like you are a victim of competitive tendering.
The Council has to put out work for tender and whoever's tender is the cheapest gets the contract.
The firm then go around making stuff up so they can do some work and charge for it.
Doesn't matter whether the work is required or not.
Sorting out the high reading on your neon boiler is going to be very expensive.
Sounds like you need a new fitted kitchen as well.

The statement you posted does not seem to be totally clear.
if you are talking about a reading between live and live then this would generally refer to insulation resistance measurements.
The higher the reading the better.
Therefore for a statement to say "neon boiler high reading live- live" would actually indicate that there was no problem with the readings as they are high.

Neon indicators on switches can generate low insulation resistance readings on live-live measurements, however this is not a fault it is just the nature of the neon.

Boilers are often supplied via fused spurs with neon indicators so someone may have assumed a switch with a neon indicator was a boiler.
Then they would have had to have got confused between high and low readings. And also got confused about whether this was a fault or not.

This is probably why you are getting varied responses here.

Earthing of metal accessories such as sockets generally refers to the metal face plate being earthed.
On some accessories it is necessary to run an earth tail from the circuit earthing to the metal face plate, however most modern plates are connected to the earthing terminal and are therefore earthed by the nature of their construction, especially sockets.
If a socket is not earthed it could mean that the faceplate could become live if there was a fault on the socket and this would not switch off automatically as it should do on a safely earthed circuit.
However the above could only be determined by taking off the faceplate and visually checking the wiring.

If the sockets have a earth cable connected to them but there is no continuity back to the consumer unit then this is also dangerous in case of a fault and could be checked without taking off the faceplate.

OVerall it sounds like an unlikley situation

It is my local council that requested the report, this is to see what actually needs to be done for the property's Rewiring, the electricians report some I understand, I do not understand these which is exactly how it is wrote on the inspection report,
1) neon boiler high reading on live-live.
2) can not check underfloor wiring.
I am courious as to what number 2 would be for? , and when it states neon boiler does this actually mean a boiler?
as I say I have no boilers or underfloor heating.

It is my local council that requested the report, this is to see what actually needs to be done for the property's Rewiring, the electricians report some I understand, I do not understand these which is exactly how it is wrote on the inspection report,
1) neon boiler high reading on live-live.
2) can not check underfloor wiring.
I am courious as to what number 2 would be for? , and when it states neon boiler does this actually mean a boiler?
as I say I have no boilers or underfloor heating.

Why has the local council requested a report? Do they own the property?

Yes it is council property, all the houses except 4 are council, they are approx 35 years old and the council is having them all rewired, I have asked neighbours if the have an inspection report like I have and no one seems to have got one only me.

No I am not stopping them, I have just asked if any one can tell me exactly what a neon boiler is and what the report is saying ie live-live, also why would I have underfloor wiring when I have water pipes under the floors? They stated that my brass effect switches and sockets were not earthed but I have taken a picture of the inside and they are earthed correct and secure.

No I am not stopping them, I have just asked if any one can tell me exactly what a neon boiler is and what the report is saying ie live-live, also why would I have underfloor wiring when I have water pipes under the floors? They stated that my brass effect switches and sockets were not earthed but I have taken a picture of the inside and they are earthed correct and secure.

what heats your hot water?

How long did they take inspecting and testing your house. If it's a load of houses on the same street I'm willing to bet half the report is copied from house to house.

The whole estate as it is called has communial heating and hot water, this comes from a boiler house which is around the corner, it is just pipes that go through the property's, there is no emmersion heaters. The lady next door to me who has brought her house can not have separate heating or water supply because re pipes that go through her house feeds mine and so on.

District heating then. Your guess is as good as any of ours what "neon boiler" means. As gutterball suggested you may have cabling under the floor. And as for your sockets being earthed, you maybe able to physically see the earths in the back of the sockets but doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a fault/disconnection, etc.

I have to go for a while now, but I appreciate all those that have answered me and I will pop back later to see if there are any more.as I need to try to get answers before I tackle the company Monday.

I have to go for a while now, but I appreciate all those that have answered me and I will pop back later to see if there are any more.as I need to try to get answers before I tackle the company Monday.

I don't understand why you want to tackle the company? The council own the property, the council/council appointed contractor carried out the inspection and the council want to rewire the property and others bringing them up to current standards.

Last edited:
The cannot check underfloor wiring means that the wiring that is under the floor cannot be checked as it would involve lifting the floors, which is not the intention of the inspection.

The neon boiler high reading on live-live has no meaning so i would discount this from consideration.
If it is a true observation then it should have a reference to another part of the document to provide specific values for this observation, if there is no reference then that observation is invalid as it must have a justification for the code.

The council is the customer not you , suggest the council follows this up if they want to , the report you have may be intended for the council , suggest you contact them and if necessary forward the report to them ...

Totally agree the council is the customer, originally council electricians done the inspection reports, these electricians got the reports wrong and refuse to hand over their reports to the contractors now, as their was illegal things suggested like putting a plug socket in actually In my work tops. So now I am wondering if this independent company are telling porkies as in saying I have under floor wiring that would actually be located with water pipe work that feeds my heating under my floor boards up stairs, and the neon boiler when I have no boiler or emmersion, I shall leave it there now, thank you for all your answers, I now have a electrican here who has just checked my sockets and they are as I thought earthed as should be, see what he says about the rest of the inspection report, thanks once again

Reply to advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock