Discuss Advice re voltage converter! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Destiny

DIY
Reaction score
Afternoon all! I was wondering if there were any electricians here who could share some knowledge please 🙏🏼. I have a Ninja dual zone air fryer that I want to take abroad. The country I’m taking it to is running on 110V, whereas the air fryer is 2470W. Would a voltage converter 110V to 220V- rated power 3000VA - be enough or will it blow? I’ve heard you need to allow a buffer. Really don’t want to spend money on it if it’s not going to work. Any guidance would be appreciated! 😃

Given that the Ninja products typically have electronic controls, I believe you would be safer with what is called a "pure sine wave" converter. There are lots of cheap 'converters' on the market that advertise a higher power rating than they can actually deliver for a sustained time, but they don't explain that. A rule of thumb is that for a 3kW continuous load, you need a converter rated at 6kW intermittent.
If you are considering one of the budget converters, you would need one rated at least 5kW/5kVA. Example:
TBH I wouldn't recommend these gadgets, and reviews suggest they can be problematic.

It would be far safer to use a transformer (or "autotransformer") to step up the voltage from 110v to 230v.
I see an example on the market (eg from Screwfix) that is rated 3kVA 'intermittent' (kVA equivalent to kW for this resistive load), which they say is 1.5kVA continuous, and that is c£130. That's not powerful enough for your Ninja!
A proper step-up transformer rated for your load is likely to cost about as much as the Ninja, unless you can find one secondhand.
The cheapest I can see after a quick look is this:
I don't know enough about it to recommend it, but it gives you an idea of what is required.

You might be better off buying another air fryer at your destination!

Some countries nominally on 110V do have split phase 110 - 0 -110V supplies (ie 220V) available on certain outlets, eg in the USA. Presumably that's not the case where you are going?

Last edited:
Given that the Ninja products typically have electronic controls, I believe you would be safer with what is called a "pure sine wave" converter. There are lots of cheap 'converters' on the market that advertise a higher power rating than they can actually deliver for a sustained time, but they don't explain that. A rule of thumb is that for a 3kW continuous load, you need a converter rated at 6kW intermittent.
If you are considering one of the budget converters, you would need one rated at least 5kW/5kVA. Example:
TBH I wouldn't recommend these gadgets, and reviews suggest they can be problematic.

It would be far safer to use a transformer (or "autotransformer") to step up the voltage from 110v to 230v.
I see an example on the market (eg from Screwfix) that is rated 3kVA 'intermittent' (kVA equivalent to kW for this resistive load), which they say is 1.5kVA continuous, and that is c£130. That's not powerful enough for your Ninja!
A proper step-up transformer rated for your load is likely to cost about as much as the Ninja, unless you can find one secondhand.
I don't know enough about it to recommend it, but it gives you an idea of what is required.

Hello , thank you so much for your reply. A lady is selling one over here - please see link - Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/MYOYAY-Transformer-Transformers-Electrical-Protection/dp/B08FMJ2TH7?th=1&psc=1

You think this would be ok?

Hello , thank you so much for your reply. A lady is selling one over here - please see link - Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/MYOYAY-Transformer-Transformers-Electrical-Protection/dp/B08FMJ2TH7?th=1&psc=1

You think this would be ok?
That's an electronic unit, not an actual transformer. In my opinion it is under rated. The diagram of good to bad indicates a 2400W load is in the middle "might be ok/might not be ok" area of the chart
Their recommendation below works out that you should use a transformer rated at 4446W (80% higher than your appliance)
Which it isn't!
If the seller of the item has used it for the same purpose as you propose to, and for a reasonable length of time, then maybe it would be OK, otherwise I would avoid it!

IMG_0278.jpeg

Edit - I just noticed I said in my first post " A rule of thumb is that for a 3kW continuous load, you need a converter rated at 6kW intermittent.". I didn't mean to put the word "Intermittent" at the end - please mentally delete it! 🫢

Last edited:
That's an electronic unit, not an actual transformer. In my opinion it is under rated. The diagram of good to bad indicates a 2400W load is in the middle "might be ok/might not be ok" area of the chart
Their recommendation below works out that you should use a transformer rated at 4446W (80% higher than your appliance)
Which it isn't!
If the seller of the item has used it for the same purpose as you propose to, and for a reasonable length of time, then maybe it would be OK, otherwise I would avoid it!

Thanks alot - all noted. I’m not going to bother now , the air fryer will be running for a good amount of time , she was using it for her blender from the uk which I’m assuming was a quick 2 min job. Thanks again for your time!

Some countries nominally on 110V do have split phase 110 - 0 -110V supplies (ie 220V) available on certain outlets, eg in the USA. Presumably that's not the case where you are going?
Hello , sorry I just saw the rest of your message. We are in the Cayman Islands so not sure if they do split supplies here …..I guess I’ll have to do a Google search. Thanks again for your invaluable advice.

As a footnote. The mains frequency here is 50HZ @ 230volts. 110V supplies are usually 60HZ, so it may not just be a job to change the voltage.
Air fryers arent that expensive and I'm sure you can lay your hands on some spare currency in the Cayman Islands...

Hello , sorry I just saw the rest of your message. We are in the Cayman Islands so not sure if they do split supplies here …..I guess I’ll have to do a Google search. Thanks again for your invaluable advice.
As a footnote. The mains frequency here is 50HZ @ 230volts. 110V supplies are usually 60HZ, so it may not just be a job to change the voltage.
Air fryers arent that expensive and I'm sure you can lay your hands on some spare currency in the Cayman Islands...
Thank you

Reply to Advice re voltage converter! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net