Discuss Advice required please. Going self employed, I have my 2330, 17th & that's it. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kai

Hi all, I did my apprenticeship with a local council mainly on residential housing & schools. I've not worked full time as an electrician for coming on two years now. When working for the council, I was on a cyclical testing team for two years before leaving.

I'm wanting to set up my own company mainly doing electrical work on residential housing, (rewires, bathrooms, extensions, bond & boards etc)

Can someone please clarify exactly what I need to do? I apologise if this has been asked before, as I'm guessing it has. I did a forum search but couldn't find my exact question, just snippets.

I don't have my 2391, I was due to take it but took redundancy before I had chance to (they kept putting it off as a cost saving)

I don't have any electrical books, ie, BS7671 etc and I'm wanting to get registered with either NICI or NAPIT. I just need to know what books I need to purchase and who to go with taking I don't have my 2391 and what scheme I should be applying for? I've just got a business loan from the Prince's Trust and I'm raring to go.

Any responses would be highly appreciated. Many thanks :28:

you need as a minimum, 17th edition wiring regs. copies of BS7671 and OSG, pl insurance, download part p , part l, and part m of the building regs. then apply for a welcome pack from elecsa. a calibrated MFT is also necessary.

You may now (from April 2013) aso need an NVQ Level 3 now, but that may only be for the NIC's icky QS role or other providers equivalent. Though with your previous experience they may take your cash no probs!

Also in addition to what Tel says you require Memo of Guidance on EWR. You will also require 1 -2 jobs lined up for the assessment (usually a MW's and a EIC) and previously issued certs, be they minor works or EIC's.

You can apply to Elecsa, NAPIT, NICEIC and others. I think there are between 5-6 possible schemes which all do the same thing basically.

I have heard that Elecsa and NAPIT, possibly due to not having as many members, are more approachable and have better tech help lines i.e. you are not left waiting for days to speak to someone when you require a quickish answer.

Look on the respective websites of the scheme providers - plenty of info on them.

Other than that you will need little things like a waste policy/h&S policy Etc but they are nothing to worry about at all at this stage.

Hope that helps mate.

Hi you will need minimum of 2 million public liability for Napit. All you will need is one ring main to show them along with test reports. Like the the others have said you will need calibration certificate for test meters. Ring Napit, they will then take £500 odd pound for the first year . They will send you all the info or the lovely lady will tell you over the phone

Have you got cash to back you up while your chasing work, don't leave yourself too short. It's difficult starting out and finding work but if your put the effort in do a good job and at a reasonable price you will get recommendations that will get you on your way. Get yourself a free website, get listed on yell and all the other free listing sites and don't be tempted to take out a paid ad with them if they come calling, you can end up paying hundreds to thousands on tick with very little return (trust me I've been there). Important to get your qualifications upto date and also get the inspection & test under your belt. Once you finally register under a competened person scheme get some cards printed and knock on doors. Start off by calling in on all your local letting agents and don't give up....anyway I think you get the jist, good luck.

Reply to Advice required please. Going self employed, I have my 2330, 17th & that's it. in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net