Discuss advice sought in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

davek

Hi all
I have been to look at job today in an industrial unit, the problem is a lack of socket there is two distribution board one feeding the other both 3 phase but only using single phase. I Did not get to the point of supply as customer needed to go. on the board i managed to look at is basically supplying a a lighting circuit and a ring with a old 30amp breaker crabtree bs3871 type2 all wiring is in single in conduit, ut will e hoping extend run with t&e run in trunking in plastic conduit. as its will be run on surface I wont need rcd protection. but is that breaker still suitable ifo wat is max zs I did measure zs at board it was 0.18 ohms not used to the old stuff.
Regards
Dave

You need to learn your regs, any alteration, addition or new circuit would require to meet the current regulations so if you are applying this to the socket circuit you would either need to give up front protection (rcd 30mA) or fit RCD sockets if all the installations methods allowed you to as you suggest.

all wiring is in single in conduit, ut will e hoping extend runs with t&e run in trunking in plastic conduit.
You've got to be bloody joking right?? Plastic trunking in an industrial unit, wiring in T&E, ....My God!!
I suppose you're also wondering how/why the existing systems Zs has managed to remain that low too!!

I wish you Domestic Installers would leave real electrical work to the real electricians....

Last edited by a moderator:
EN54 could be light industrial, not all industrial should be type cast.. but yes does sound like a Dom' moving outside the comfort zone but to the OP the same regs apply.

EN54 could be light industrial, not all industrial should be type cast.. but yes does sound like a Dom' moving outside the comfort zone but to the OP the same regs apply.

This industrial unit has been fitted with a metal containment installation for good reason, to cover all eventualities of the company's renting this industrial unit. It may well be used for a light industrial use on this occasion but the next time, who knows??

Hi guys
its not being use as any industrial purpose more being used as storage and office use, correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure you al will lol if cable are not buried in the wall it's not required rcd on a second thoughts from this 3 ph board there is just the 30 and 5amp mcb, which I could supply off a 50amp to a 3 way rcd cu unit. There is also sub divided rooms which are now offices. With trunking and plastic socket just happen to have been and industrial based unit in its day.

you still need RCD protection for sockets.

Hi guys
its not being use as any industrial purpose more being used as storage and office use, correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure you al will lol if cable are not buried in the wall it's not required rcd on a second thoughts from this 3 ph board there is just the 30 and 5amp mcb, which I could supply off a 50amp to a 3 way rcd cu unit. There is also sub divided rooms which are now offices. With trunking and plastic socket just happen to have been and industrial based unit in its day.

As I've already said, you require RCD protection on your sockets 'check your regs!'.....I corrected you because your opening post was wrong and you are still asking to be corrected if your wrong, if you ask a 3rd time then I'm out and I suggest you leave this work alone until you understand the reg's. If as you say this is a warehouse type unit and the runs are prone to been knocked, hit, caught, bashed etc by pallet loads and/or the folklift itself then you should be continuing with steel install not plastic.

You give the impression your trying to avoid this job costing more money and/or having to deal with steel install?
The 3ph board piggy backed off another 3ph board via an MCB is poor design and short circuit discrimination between the 50amp MCB and any MCB fitted in the sub-main will be poor if any at all.
Do you have any experience in commercial and Industrial?

Last edited:

Reply to advice sought in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net