Discuss Alt. Probs. 95,vw 1.9 t4van in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bryan Williams

Hi wondering if you have any thoughts on an alternator problem I have?I replaced my alt last month and its been OK until today.
When I took the old one off I noticed that the blue and brown wires from the connector alt end were perished and fused together, I figured that must have bust the alt so I decided to cut the damage out and crimp in new wire,I also saw the insulation was cracked right where it disappeared into the connector.

I could not source a new harness, they are obsolete, so I had to fix it, I slid shrink tube on the cables right into the connector and cut the damaged cables and crimped new cable in.

Fired it and everything seemed OK.

That was over a month ago, yesterday the ignition light stayed on for a few minutes then went out.Checked the alt today and the brown wire was completely burnt through and hanging disconnected.

The insulation was burnt all the way back to the starter.

So my repair wasn't good enough and I didn't remove enough damaged wire or something else is going on.

I only replaced about five inches of cable, maybe it was bad further along and under the insulation

I am going to try another repair tomorrow while I try to find someone to build a harness.

Here's the thing though, it still seems to charge OK..

I get 12.97v at the battery, engine off.

14.33v _at the battery, engine running. At revs.

13.88v engine running with fans, lights, radio on.

Ignition light goes off after starting.

Just wondering if it will damage the alt running it like that?

Any thoughts on what's going on here?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Bry.

Reply to Alt. Probs. 95,vw 1.9 t4van in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net