Discuss AM1/AM2 are they necessary requirement? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have got 2330 L3, 17th edition and 2392.

I have been contested against by someone saying I still need to get AM1 or AM2 done. To my knowledge this is the first ive really heard about them.

What are they exactly?
Do I need to take them?
Have the been phased out?
What benefits will they bring?

P.S I'm still yet to complete my NVQ but I am in the process of starting this now.

Cheers peeps.

AM2 only a requirement through an apprenticeship. Adult Learners doing completing Level 2 & 3 2330 and NVQ 3 have no requirement for AM2. That's what I was told anyhow.

That's the back door way in you won't get a jib card with out doing the am2 if your just house bashing then fur enough. But people shouldn't be frightened of the am2 as far as I'm concerned it's the electrical trade test for me if you can't pass it you shouldn't be allowed an electricians card that's just my take on it

I was told I would only have to do AM2 as adult learner if I done the 2357. I was on the 2330 with NVQ3 which does not involve AM2. I may phone JIB as I have never touched houe bashing and only just finished 2330 & NVQ. Gonna be a few months before certificates are through so if I need to book up an AM2 then I would rather know now.

As you have already achieved your 2360 parts 1 & 2 and should be able to demonstrate that you have had an apprenticeship (or equivalent training), the JIB will grade you as an Electrician ONLY of you also complete your NVQ 2356 Level 3 (see JIB Link) . You DO NOT need your AM2 as you are already a a practicing operative with relevant experience etc.

If you want to gain approved status with the JIB you will also need to achieve your City & Guilds 2391-10 (Inspection & Testing) as well as your City & Guilds NVQ 2356.

The NVQ 2356 in Electrical Installation has eight units (301 to 308) and you will need to collect evidence of competency for EACH unit on THREE SEPARATE occasions. The evidence should be video/photo, witness statements etc etc.

Some training providers such as XS Training and Delta offer this NVQ online at a reasonable cost, however, you need to make sure that you can cover all the criteria for this NVQ in the work that you carry out on a day to day basis.

Full details of the NVQ and occupational standards can be found within this pdf . Remember to refer to units 301 - 308 for Electrical Installation route.

Note that with the new NVQ 2357, you will need to do the AM2 regardless of experience/qualifications etc, so it is much better to do the exisiting NVQ 2356.

Read more: http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...538-ecs-jib-card-nvq-3-am2.html#ixzz1xJGJYd45

Found this on a different thred written by "sparksflying"

Not my post just cut and pasted. Lol but if you go to the cscs website and look at the requirements for a electrical installer card no AM2 required.
Part 1, Part 2, NVQ3 = "electctrican" JIB grading (found on site)
Part 1, Part2, NVQ3, and 2391 = "Approved Electrician" JIB grading.

Must satisfy the following four conditions:
(1) Must have been a registered Apprentice or undergone some equivalent method of training and have had practical training in electrical installation work.
(2) Must have obtained an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation work (or approved equivalent) - See Note 1.
(3) Must have had two years' experience working as an Electrician subsequent to the satisfactory completion of training and immediately prior to the application for this grade.
(4) Must have demonstrated competence and obtained a suitable qualification (the City & Guilds 2391 or the EAL Level 3 Diploma in Inspecting and Testing Electrotechnical Systems and Equipement (500/3542/3) are suitable qualifications) in the inspection, testing and commissioning of installations - see Note 2.
Note 1: If the applicant meets the other three criteria but has not achieved an NVQ Level 3 in electrical installation, then a "Provisional" grading may be awarded if the following criteria are both satisfied:
(a) have obtained at least the City & Guilds 2360 Electrical Installation Theory Part 2 Course Certificate or EAL Diploma in Electrotechnical Services (500/3526/5 (Or approved equivelent).
(b) have obtained Achievement Measurement 2 or must be able, with the application for Grading and any other relevant supporting evidence (i.e. the City & Guilds Electricians Certificate) which may be required, to satisfy the Grading Committee of his experience and suitability.
Note 2: The employer will ensure that the cost of a first attempt at the training scheme and examination for inspection, testing and commissioning is met without cost to the operative when they have satisfied all the other requirements for grading/regrading as an Approved Electrician.

Reply to AM1/AM2 are they necessary requirement? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net