Discuss Any advice on rewires? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:
Chrome has some ad blockers, but Google has (unsurprisingly) changed things in a manner that makes it harder to do. Wonder why they would do that?

Anyway, Firefox and uBlock Origin make my life more tolerable.

I am logged out every time I leave the site and have to accept cockies to log back in, this is becoming unbearable, this has been going on long enough, I don't know how many regular contributors you will loose if this goes on any longer, but it seems ADMIN only care about the advertisers and not the members, by the lack of action on these problems.

Once in a while I have to re-accept cookies, and it is soo painful, having to scroll down a long list and uncheck/decline everything. Most sites just have a simple short list that can be declined in one or two clicks, I can't imagine why there has to be such a long and tedious list.

Try installing the Brave browser and see if it's any better - it declines cookies by default and blocks most ads.

Firefox also has a setting which does this and it works as it should. I don't like the mobile version of Firefox and after the latest permissions update have now stopped using the forum on my phone as it's more hassle than it's worth to continually go through the list and update settings. Sometimes it is months between changes, but other times can happen twice in one week.

I could just accept the 'fair use' settings, but don't feel inclined to accept anything which is assumed in this way and place too much value on my time to be giving the same answers to the same lengthy list of questions.

I occasionally use Firefox too - but haven't explored this. It sounds like you have to opt in rather than it being the default.

It seems like it doesn't work that well if you have to answer a lengthy list of questions, or go through a list and update settings though?

I occasionally use Firefox too - but haven't explored this. It sounds like you have to opt in rather than it being the default.

It seems like it doesn't work that well if you have to answer a lengthy list of questions, or go through a list and update settings though?

It was introduced in an update some months back. They offered and I accepted, but honestly haven't looked into it further. Boxes occasionally pop up about website permissions, then disappear a couple of seconds later - mostly they don't even pop up.

This forum's list of questions appear on my phone as I don't like Firefox mobile and use Samsung's (Chrome?) browser. It's no great hardship as there are plently of other sites to browse during lunch and I can check in from home later in the day.

I am logged out every time I leave the site and have to accept cockies to log back in
That's typically because you've set your browser to be too aggressive with cookies. The site will need to set at least two cookies - one to say who you are logged in as, another to record whether you've accepted/rejected cookies. If (e.g.) you set the browser to clear all cookies when leaving the site, then these won't be there, so you'll have to select cookies and log in next time you visit.
So as a first suggestion, I'd review the cookies settings and make sure you are keeping cookies from this site across sessions.

That's typically because you've set your browser to be too aggressive with cookies. The site will need to set at least two cookies - one to say who you are logged in as, another to record whether you've accepted/rejected cookies. If (e.g.) you set the browser to clear all cookies when leaving the site, then these won't be there, so you'll have to select cookies and log in next time you visit.
So as a first suggestion, I'd review the cookies settings and make sure you are keeping cookies from this site across sessions.

Good advice.

People get a bit too wound up about cookies these days I find. Yes, you don't want them used excessively, but remember they are a feature whose original intention was to improve things for the user. Decent sites will make good use of cookies and you may well not need to reject them.

Good advice.

People get a bit too wound up about cookies these days I find. Yes, you don't want them used excessively, but remember they are a feature whose original intention was to improve things for the user. Decent sites will make good use of cookies and you may well not need to reject them.
Cookies are bad for the waistline.

Good advice.

I've generally no objection to the use of cookies for smooth running of a website. What I do object to is excessive tracking permissions give to advertisers under the guise of 'fair use' as a means of bypassing legislation which explicitly requires a user's active consent.

My stand is that I do not want any site to put anything onto my computer without my consent, if they insist then I move on and don't buy or use that site, it's getting to that stage with this site, and yes I know I will not be missed, but I do like the occasional informative thread.

Been OK for me for a few weeks, but for the last three days, it's been insisting that I turn off the ad blocker again, which is becoming more and more annoying every time I check in.

But what is the "Sausages (just for tracking a min lol needed a word, I must be hungry) message all about and videos in between posts, this is daft and annoying.

These things are put on here by the site owners who obviously get a return from the advertisers.

I would suggest that the site owners approach these advertisers with the statistic that they have xxxxmany contributors that they can put their products in front of, if the contributors was drastically reduced the benefit to the advertisers would also be and they may withdraw payments to the site owners, this unfortunately could backfire and cause a closure of, what was a useful site, if does seem as though we are not the main priority to the site owners, but without us they have no product to put before the advertisers.

Don't be surprised if this post is deleted.

Last edited:
My stand is that I do not want any site to put anything onto my computer without my consent, if they insist then I move on and don't buy or use that site, it's getting to that stage with this site, and yes I know I will not be missed, but I do like the occasional informative thread.

This really is the crux of the issue.

I understand that this forum is a commercial enterprise and the people behind it need to make a living. This isn't a problem for me - in fact, for the most part, I think they do a good job and have previously been happy to make financial contributions to the forum. I've gained (and hopefully will continue to gain) considerably from this forum, so giving something in return seemed a reasonable exchange in order to ensure the continuance of, what I believe to be, a valuable resource. Unfortunately I've found myself in the position of strongly disagreeing with some aspects of how the forum operates and a while back reached the point where I decided continued financial support was no longer something I felt comfortable providing.

I'm sure most people would object if a website signed them up to financial contributions without consent - in fact most would be outraged in the extreme. For me the syphoning of information without consent is a matter I find equally objectionable and on which I have taken steps to prevent, just as one might take steps to prevent the unauthorised removal of funds from a bank account.

I have no objection to advertising from forum sponsors and it's likely that, if asked, I'd be happy to allow those sponsors a measure of access in tracking my movements when clicking the adverts they place on the forum or in advertising threads posted in the 'forum sponsor news' section. What I do object to is a forum which is difficult to use due to all manner of irrelevant, and often insidious, advertising and it is this latter category to whom I'm unwilling to permit any measure of tracking or other personal information. Unfortunately there seems to be no distinction drawn between the two on this forum and my blocking of the latter category also means a complete block on forum sponsor advertising - I wish this wasn't the case. I'm familar enough with many of the agencies behind internet tracking to know that those who are provided with 'assumed consent' on a 'fair use' basis are not representing forum sponsors and I'm neither comfortable with the nature of their business nor willing to permit the use of personal information by them. Many people adopt a simplistic position about internet tracking, because they have nothing to hide. I don't have any secrets to hide either, where visited websites are concerned, but believing that to be the long and short of the issue demonstrates an incredible level of naiveity which everyone would do well to correct. I might add that I haven't used an adblocker on this site for several months, yet still see no sponsor advertising due to other measures in place to rid myself of less relevant material.

I've previously posted about no longer feeling able to use this forum on a mobile device and find myself only willing to visit of an evening, from a relatively secure laptop. Quite simply this means a valuable resource is now of less value to me. I, like everyone else, have read myriad posts from people complaining that the forum is nigh on ususable at times due to incredibly intrusive advertising and very much doubt those affected would see the resource this forum provides as being particularly valuable. I've recently read that the cost of forum sponsorship has increased and can't help questioning the wisdom of this move at a time when so many complain about feeling unable to use the forum - forum finances are none of my business, but I think it's quite reasonable to reflect on the issue of sponsorship cost at a time when I find the forum becoming less valuable to me and reading so many posts from people who find it unusable and therefore less likely to post. I'm less likely to recommence the provision of financial support when I fell the forum has become less accessible due to tracking. Others may come to similar conclusions due to intrusive advertising and increased costs aren't likely to be a factor that will change many minds. If my position isn't clear enough, I would sooner walk away from this, or any other forum, before permitting the sort of access which I'm expected to provide to all manner of external agencies and that really is the bottom line for me.

I'd like to make two apologies. The first is to those who find my post difficult to follow - lately I notice many more words are slipping through with incorrect letters and letters jumbled up. This is something I've always struggled with and generally manage to correct, but for some reason I'm recently finding it more difficult to see these errors and can not correct that which I don't see. The second apology is to @HappyHippyDad - I'm not sure when this thread was hi-jacked, but I certainly haven't helped 😁

Tl,dr: Tracking cookies are an issue for me, just like the unauthorised use of a bank account might be for others.

But why are we having to go through all this, its a complete fafe and does not happen on any other site, but this one? The standard browser that most use is Google are they trying to bypass the normal browser? Or are we just being played for the sake of it?

Reply to Any advice on rewires? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net