Discuss Any recommendations for good quality 100w+ LED floodlights for horse manege? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll have a look at each of them!

How big is the sand ménage, 8x100w sounds a lot, I'd have thought 4x100 or 6x50 would have been sufficient if normal domestic size.

That's a good questions Phil. The manege (not menage, horsey people keep telling me!) is 60m x 25m. Sport England recommend a height of 10m for the lights and a lux of 200. Neither of these is practical, the height would not be accepted by the council and to achieve 200 lux you would be spending perhaps £10000 just on lights. The CIBSE recommends a lux of 100 in the domestic arena, Wirefield have calculated that this would require 2 x 240W LED floodlights on EACH of the 8 poles at a height of 6m. I think this is still surely over kill so I am going to borrow a 120w and a 200w (maybe even an 80w) from my local WILTS and install temporarily to gain an idea of what is actually required.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that LED light can have a negative effect on horses. Something to do with how they pulse the light (imperceptible to us).

Could be something to look into also.

There was a long thread I read a long time ago on the effects of lighting on animals,and also horses being exercised under outdoor lighting. I can't remember where I read it though.
It has been speculated for a long time the effects that certain lighting has on milk production for instance; and also production on deep litter hens.
I do not know if any research has been done on LED lighting on horses, but there are a lot available for indoor and outdoor use.
I think your local Vet should know if there are any detrimental effects.

I know you have done some research , but this link may help too.

http://www.agrilight.nl/advice-on-lighting/lighting-advice-for-horses/

Last edited:

Reply to Any recommendations for good quality 100w+ LED floodlights for horse manege? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net