Discuss Anyone recognise this mounting system? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jerriais

IMAG2538.jpg

Doing a repair on a job that was installed in December, a week before the company disappeared and left MCS so customer has no MCS certificate. First problem I need to solve is work out which mounting system this is, I thought I knew most of them but haven't seen this one but surely it's not meant to be installed with screws that have rusted so much within just 2 months! And directly below this installation is a nursery playground!

Spaghetti wiring almost expected now on call outs to these type of jobs, will be tidying all that up off the roof as well.
IMAG2539.jpg

Not seen that rail profile before, but it looks like they've cobbled the rest of it together with whatever's in the parts bin plus some bog standard plated set screws from the local tool merchant. That clip is not the correct size for the panel, hence the need for a longer screw.

The Rail Profile is a Wagner Tric, Tric Mounting Rails - Wagner Solar UK Ltd

Though would echo JulianC's comments they've used whatver they had left in the parts bin, wrong set screws (should be S/S) incorrect sized panel clip, ..... obviusly they didn't have any ti-wraps left in the parts bin either.

I'd strip it off and start again with whatever you can rescue, and make good what isn't. Some of it may be OK.

Those look like very fragile concrete tiles.....you'd have needed a proper flashing solutions like from genius roof solutions to install on that roof to ensure the roof stays waterproof.

Looks indentical to a roof we did (properly) last month.

Them's'll be the concrete rosemary tiles, they break if you sneeze on them. Had one about 3 months ago, fortunately picked 100 up from our local reclamation yard at 15p each. Did it using Redtip and hookstop, the tiles under the brackets were fine -hookstop worked a treat. If you knelt on the other tiles when you were closing up they broke....

Yes, we'll be using Hookstops, we always do on these roofs as they're unfortunately very brittle and common in Hampshire, but will probably try and keep the Wagner mounting hooks and rails as don't want to charge too much to customer who's already paid for an install once. thanks for spotting that one, I seem to have odd bits of almost every rail system in the warehouse apart from Wagner! (But I would never try to Meccano them together on one install!)

december this year, and the bolt for the clip is already going rusty?

Yes, I'm amazed, maybe they were rusty before the install, the original installer probably picked them out of the puddles at his local scrapyard, either that or he packs them in salt to keep them fresh, you never know with the cowboys!

Agreed, TRIC - Wagner Solar. However, it's a bad install using bottom of the bag bolts!

Redtip Hookstops great idea: saves installation time as well as future proofing tiles from cracking. Thought I'd attach a picture
DSC00098.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a mess that wiring is, how can any trade think that is acceptable? Even a roofer must see that it is only going to create a problem.......

Reply to Anyone recognise this mounting system? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net