Discuss Anyone use winter tyres? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Worth the investment in my opinion, just need somewhere to store them

Just got two new rear all seasons for my Subaru, now if only it did something other than rain in Devon...

Hi need some new tyres on my caddy anyone tried winter tyres are they worth trying?

In Germany drivers in some areas HAVE to have winter tyres or get fined. Most of them have cheap and nasty rims with their winter tyres which make their shiney BMW's and Merc's look very naff.

So I guess its not just a set of tyres but the rims too.

Grabber AT2's do me all year round, and they get me over the fields when I go shooting too.
What are you shooting in Cornwall - tourists?
Seriously, rough shooting/driven game or deer? We do a fair bit of shooting t'up north

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, winter tyres are worth the money. Although if the weathers bad, just don't go out :)

In Germany drivers in some areas HAVE to have winter tyres

I'm not surprised the speed they drive in Germany, lucky barstards!
Was in the old Transit on the autobahns, had to check in the mirrors to see a few miles back before attempting a rare overtaking maneuver, to check if anyone's coming. They're on your arse in a flash. Good fun though, driving in Germany!

Grabber AT2's do me all year round, and they get me over the fields when I go shooting too.

Ooo good choice, looking at getting a vit with the new ATs on. Subaru has UHPs and lasted 20k front and 26k rear, and I've taken that offroad with no probelms. Great tyres

At2's are ok on most surfaces apart from long wet grass and they slip like mad.
[MENTION=30672]richy3333[/MENTION] Shooting? Rough really, mainly rabbits, pheasants and woodies. Emmits (tourists) seem to complain when they get shot at, moaning sods!

cant afford snow tyres but lidl have just been selling chains so got a set just in case not been stuck for a few years but you never know and now i have them they should last for years unlike snow tyres

We run top brand summer tyres all year round on the Astra vans and keep a set of snow chains in each , just in case .
As for the l200's they are on either BF Goodrich AT's ( summer ) or copper MT's / ST's ( I think that is the coding ) , i have found that running a more aggressive pattern all year will utterly spank the mpg and give a good deal more road noise !

I got stuck down in Bucks a couple of years ago with that bad snow that came in over Christmas , i ended up borrowing one of my mates 180hp Class tractors to get home in the end , 260 mile round trip !

We had a problem with a mitsubishi l200 at work,basically in the wet it was all over the road,back end kicking out on corners at low speed, so I told them to get soft compound tyres fitted which they did and it was fine after that.

i have some snow socks for an astra, i live on a hill and tended to give up until i got the socks. i can now do 1st gear hill starts in deep snow. bit of a pain to put them on tho.

because of the snow we had in 2009 and 2010, i decided to invest in a set last year - and we had virtually no snow whatsoever! typical.

also, i thought it would be a good idea to have them on their own rims, to make the changeover less of a hassle. so, i went round a lot of the scrapyards looking for 4 steel wheels, thinking i'd get them for about 5 or 6 quid each. i couldn't have been more wrong. out of the 7 or 8 breakers that i tried, only one had a set with my stud pattern and he wanted £25 for each one - for steel wheels! (apparently, steel wheels for my motor are quite rare). in the end i went back to a yard that had a full set of allys (with a couple of decent tyres) for £35 all in.

the world makes less sense every day.

^Winter tyres are not just about snow, it's about the tyre compound working better below 7c providing better grip than a (normally at this point) hard summer tyre. Tread pattern is usually different to cope with more wet roads and icy/slushy conditions

^Winter tyres are not just about snow, it's about the tyre compound working better below 7c providing better grip than a (normally at this point) hard summer tyre. Tread pattern is usually different to cope with more wet roads and icy/slushy conditions

i appreciate that, but i wanted to play out in the snow!

i have bmw and i was sliding in the wet never mind snow yet, went to part worn guy and he said i now have snow tyres on the back, happydays and i do slip less .... but can stiil slipe round a corner like a racing driver having bad day..

i have bmw and i was sliding in the wet never mind snow yet, went to part worn guy and he said i now have snow tyres on the back, happydays and i do slip less .... but can stiil slipe round a corner like a racing driver having bad day..

rear wheel drive with engine at the front - weyhey!!!!

Reply to Anyone use winter tyres? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net